• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More rust repair

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm getting ready to do my floor and I am looking for some ideas to repair some rust. Big pits on floor and LH seat base.
However, I repair it I will be painting and sealing the floor with Boom-Mat, leaving some strategic holes in the back corners for drainage. I've considered cutting out and welding a piece but since it is a limited area I'd rather do something like plug with a screw and fill with JN weld, just fill with JB..it will have primer, enamel, Boom-mat rubber and more top coat.
Thoughts? Painted is seat base.

1645033631816.png1645033711461.png

Reactions: HDN

CMPPhil

after cleaning up I just answered my own question.

View attachment 859112
Hi

If the area is exposed from the rear, as it appears, and you have access to MIG welding you can get a very good repair by putting a brass or copper flat plate tight up behind the holes or craters and welding them up. Holding the heat sinks tight up against the back is the trick. Just build up the hole area then grind smooth. The copper or brass heat sinks will come right off leaving the back pretty smooth.

Cheers Phil

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went ahead and just cut out a 2"x3" piece and welded a new piece of 16 ga in place. This is under the middle of the driver's seat base. I have dual tanks and 6 hoses from the select valve run directly under the holes, of course. So I just shielded them with a piece of metal and had at it.
Thanks for the advice anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks