• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More Wheel Questions

Olly

I was wondering what wheels come with the run-flats and what wheels don't? Also if a wheel came with run-flats do you have to put them back in? Been looking at HEMTT wheels, and also combat wheels, and I also noticed aluminum MRAP dually wheels just playing around with different size tires, wheels and the weight of them as to the affect of the performance of the truck. Also anyone's opinions on which is better steel or aluminum? It's an XM818 5 ton.... Just asking basic information on the different rims and what they require for mounting and dismounting purposes.
Thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
HEMTT wheels require a special lug nut or you to change out all your studs. The tire containing a runflat depends on nothing really. A HET tire/ wheel may or may not contain a runflat and just have a beadlock insert. Same with a HEMTT setup. The 395s on LMTV wheels that Feltz sells have a large bore valve stem. Dead give away that it has a runflat in it and it weighs about 480lbs. A composite runflat will weigh as much as a beadlock insert does so it's hard to tell when it's a light tire/wheel mounted up. if you are lucky enough to get a composite runflat. A HEMTT wheel with a rubber runflat and a 1600 weighs around 600lbs. X 7 tires on the truck is 4200lbs of tires on an already underpowered truck = slow. You may be driving around in 4th gear or even 3rd if you live in a hilly area all the time

Berg tire in NC on Ebay is selling new 1600R20 Goodyear AT3s on hemtt wheels for $300. A good deal

HEMTT wheels are combat wheels. 99 percent of the LMTV wheels with Goodyears and XML 395s do not have runflats. I have ran across some but only a few. The only MRAP wheels that will fit the budd pattern are the caiman MRAP Wheels which are pricey or the aluminum type that go on the rear of the MaxxPro Mraps. You will not want to run a dual type wheel solo on the rear as the offset is too great you will mess something up doing so. They were meant to run 12.00s

Hemtt wheels are rated for 13000lbs. 5 ton and LMTV steel wheels are rated at just under 10k. I have broken the entire face of an LMTV wheel off the truck. Some aluminum is stronger but they use a different mrap bolt pattern. Such as the buffalo mrap wheels that are rated at 16,000lbs but have a 3 inch wheel face of alu.aluminum

If you want runflats contact gimpy Robb or Dave at eastern surplus. They will happily give you a truck load I am sure for free

Last edited:

Olly

Thanks for all the info glad to know the HEMTT wheels don't need the run flats. Also good to know what weights involved.... guess with the info you provided I'm more headed to a HEMTT with a 49" I've also read the 53's really make the M818 under powered. I'm sure the 49's might slow it down a little but don't really want to go smaller than that more just a personal preference. I like the Michelin XLs better than the XZLs don't really know if there's much of a difference other than I think the XL's are older. Saw a few places selling new old stock then again if the rubbers too old it don't really matter. Thanks again for the info.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for all the info glad to know the HEMTT wheels don't need the run flats. Also good to know what weights involved.... guess with the info you provided I'm more headed to a HEMTT with a 49" I've also read the 53's really make the M818 under powered. I'm sure the 49's might slow it down a little but don't really want to go smaller than that more just a personal preference. I like the Michelin XLs better than the XZLs don't really know if there's much of a difference other than I think the XL's are older. Saw a few places selling new old stock then again if the rubbers too old it don't really matter. Thanks again for the info.
Michelin XLs are dangerous tires at this age they havent been mad since around 2003 to 2005. They have alot of age on them. I have had several blow out.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Good to know guess I'll be scratching those off the list....
I have high tread 1400s with runflats in them. they are fairly reasonably priced. Could maybe work something out on the next run to CT

Olly

I would need 7 tires.... are they mounted on wheels or just the tires? If they're not on wheels is there any extra cost to not include the runflat in the tires I read they're a b**** to get out? And what would the price be?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks