• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Morganton,NC to Spring Branch,TX and back

AMGeneral

Well folks,I am planning to make a 3 day round trip to Spring Branch TX to pick up some Gama Goat tires.

I am planning to leave here on Thursday Sept 3rd and be at my destination on the 4th, not taking any MVs this trip(that I know of anyway),just the dually and gooseneck.

I should have about 10 feet of empty space left on the trailer deck,I am picking up a few small items for Ferro,I could possibly pick up something if need be,as long as it is close to the I-10 area.

Tornadogt

I have 5 Med-Heavy Towbars with feet (All of CARNAC stock) in San Antonio just off I-10 Good opportunity for some of these to take the SS express East.. 500.00 with both sets of feet 400.00 with one set of feet. PM me and Check with AMGeneral if he can move for you...

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually turned out to be around 0930 this morning. Brandon got his trailer tires taken care of this morning, we got the Goat tires loaded, a GP Medium (which was harder to load than the tires), and pointed him East. Hopefully he dumped Murphy off in Houston with all the traffic yesterday and will have smooth sailing headed home. Safe travels and God Speed.

AMGeneral

Well,home at last,"murphy" left us alone till literally 5 minutes from the house,then trailer tire #2 blew out,luckily I had 1 more spare and after a 15 minute change,we got home around 9 PM local.

I'll go more into detail about the trip tomorrow,time for some sleep now.

AMGeneral

OUCH! Glad it was close to the homestead instead of the middle of nowhere!
I have learned to carry AT LEAST 2 spares with this trailer,plus the gear to break down and change a tubeless tire on the road.

BTW the tires were FAR from overloaded as the total load with the trailer included was 8000 lbs,and each tire is rated for 3580 lbs @ 80 psi cold,I also made sure they were at the correct pressure each morning before moving the trailer.

I retained the 2 blown out tires for possible replacement by the local tire shop where I purchased them.

The unmounted tire actually blew out on the way out Thursday on the unloaded trailer. :x

We burned 171.05 gallons of fuel and traveled 2480 miles,which averaged out to 14.49 mpg,

that included sitting in Houston,New Orleans,and Lake Charles traffic for 6 hrs total.

Total cost for the trip was $775,not including the cost of items picked up.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That trailer is a tire eating monster. See? Told you it wasn't the wrecker beds fault!

Glad nothing else major happened and thanks again for getting my parts! And thanks to Jeepsinker for meeting you with them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks