• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mosul Iraq

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
God bless him and all the forward station Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen. He is a great looking Soldier and I know you are proud of him. I am praying for all of our Soldiers and I know many many Americans still strongly support us. It is important to remember that what we are doing in Iraq and Afghanistan has kept our country free from terror for all these years since 9-11. Please thank him for us and if you PM me his address I will send him a goodie box from Korea. I like Mosul it was not like the Southern Desert areas I served in. I hope he is getting time to study and enough sleep.

Notice that it is a HEMMET Wrecker he is using the Soldiers tell me hands down the MTV wrecker can not hold a candle to it.

LanceRobson

Playing with all the toys can be fun but it often means you have to go out into "Indian country" to play.

If we didn't have to work in too much mud or go across rough country, the HEMMET could haul an M1A1. Ya couldn't go more than a few miles an hour and on hills you needed a hold back vehicle to assist in braking but the HEMMET could do it.The wee beastie weighs, from memory, 69,000 pounds with the fuel tanks empty.

I'll keep your son in my prayers. My oldest son recently ETSed after 8 years in and it's good to not have to worry about him.

Lance

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The HEMTT wrecker is a 10 ton chassis.. The MTV is a 5 ton chassis..

The MTV wrecker was never intended to replace the HEMTT M984 series wrecker.... It was intended to replace the 5 ton M936 wrecker.....

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Mosul Iraq

LanceRobson said:
I'll keep your son in my prayers. My oldest son recently ETSed after 8 years in and it's good to not have to worry about him.

Lance

I'll just bet you stopped worrying about him...... ;-)

steve

Lars

RE: Re: RE: Mosul Iraq

I need the NSN for the headlights so I can put 'em on my wrecker in Afghanistan.

Lars

RE: Re: RE: Mosul Iraq

one of the moderaters helped me out, I can order them when I land.

Lonesome715

I wish I noticed this thread sooner. I am in mosul right now but I am flying out today. It would have been nice to meet up with some of these guys.

I was in Mosul for a month. I learned quickly there is a good side of the camp and bad side, divided by a local road. The Good side has the NICE brand new DFAC (Chow Hall) and a decent PX (General Store). The bad side had a crappy DFAC, just walking there id lose my appetite because.... well it just smelled bad. I only ate it If I watched them cook it in front of me (omlette, hamburger,etc) Or if it came out of a box like ceral. And the PX sucked to it barely had anything. And it was a pain to get to the other side because of all the check points. My entire month there I spent training 8 hours a day and sleeping or reading the rest. I was so glad to go back to Taji when training was over.

Heres some pics I took in Mosul. The first is of the Nice New DFAC. The others are of us training. Oh by the way, see that Dirt wall in the 3rd picture? Well on the other side was Mosul. While training we had mortars go over us and into the base.

Attachments

Last edited:

avengeusa

My son is just home from mosul....

30 days leave, he was infantry, has a lot of cool stories, post all the pics you have, i will add a couple to my album

mudguppy

trivia: the HEMTT wrecker was originally designed with the max capability of pulling bradleys off the battlefield. i've seen it done a few times. also, it'll handle an M9 ACE fantastic - seen the 10th Eng's do it all the time. M113s and M577s are child's play.

we had one convoy cdr have the bright idea of trying to pull a broke-down HET loaded w/ a BDAR'd M1 on the back. it made it a few miles (inching along, flat road, mind you) before the tranny completely gave up the ghost.

so instead of calling for another bob-tailed HET, we had to send 2 wreckers plus the HET to get everything back to camp. that was an all-nighter... :roll:

oh, and i'd've given anyone a field grade Article 15 for trying to tow an M1 w/ a HEMTT. not only is that retarded, it's deadly.

halftrack

trivia: the HEMTT wrecker was originally designed with the max capability of pulling bradleys off the battlefield. i've seen it done a few times. also, it'll handle an M9 ACE fantastic - seen the 10th Eng's do it all the time. M113s and M577s are child's play.

we had one convoy cdr have the bright idea of trying to pull a broke-down HET loaded w/ a BDAR'd M1 on the back. it made it a few miles (inching along, flat road, mind you) before the tranny completely gave up the ghost.

so instead of calling for another bob-tailed HET, we had to send 2 wreckers plus the HET to get everything back to camp. that was an all-nighter... :roll:

oh, and i'd've given anyone a field grade Article 15 for trying to tow an M1 w/ a HEMTT. not only is that retarded, it's deadly.

Marines only use the LVS tractor version with the lowboy to move M1 tanks around. We as Marines do not have an HET as far as I know. Is this not the same thing as a HEMTT?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks