• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Motor let loose this AM!

txmytx_catahoula

Not sure what happened this morning, haven't started to tear into it yet, but the 6.2 let loose on the drive to work this AM. Don't remember it giving any hint before it happened and really, I'm just guessing, but total loss of power. Sounded like I blew two tires, pulled over as the motor died. No signs of fluid leaks, no smoke, nothing dragging or where it wasn't supposed to be. Motor cranked but wouldn't start. My guess is rod cap or timming chain. We'll see.:-|

Barrman

Check fluids, check your pink wire on top of the IP and maybe it just bounced around turning the engine on and off a few times before it stayed un plugged. If it is cranking over, it might not be that bad.

DonK

Check fluids, check your pink wire on top of the IP and maybe it just bounced around turning the engine on and off a few times before it stayed un plugged. If it is cranking over, it might not be that bad.
Ditto...If it turns over and you don't hear more noise than usual, you should be better off than if thru a Rod. No hole it the block...etc...If the chain went, then your lookin a bent valves and a few other things. I hope it works out for ya.

acmunro

Hope its somthing simple. I had a serious loss of power one time truck just wouldn't go anymore and died. It was a bad connection at the IP pink wire. Hope ya just had a misfire. Good Luck.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you crank it over, does it crank over smoothly, like you are getting compression on all cylinders? If it is cranking smoothly with compression on all cylinders, I don't think it's a major mechanical failure (rod, piston, etc.).

txmytx_catahoula

Barrman,Donk: The pink wire to the IP has a good connection.
Natem: The threads I've been reading say the glow plugs are is a "pre-combustion" chamber, but I guess I'll see as go through it.
glcaines: She tries to start but with a good amount of noice coming from who know's where. I've started to pull the pan, nothing notice able in the oil or on the pan plug. Been p'n around with the trans oil cooling lines long enough tonight. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. I'm one of the 800,000 people who will know if I've got more time to work at home next week!

txmytx_catahoula

OK, after 3 soccer game and a school event...the pan has been dropped. Everything seems to be intact. Correct number of pistons, rods, and caps all in what looks to be their original designed shape and position. VERY thin inch long metal shavings in the front of the pan. At least to me, the timing chain is extremely loose. Today we start removing the front!

hre513

Sorry to hear about your problem. How many miles you have on it? How fast was you driving? I'll guess maybe a sheared camshaft key?

txmytx_catahoula

Here's the Verdict.......the crankshaft broke just behind the second connecting rod. After reading throgh a few more threads it seems this might have happend because of a bad harmonic balancer.

Anyone know if the Crankshaft can be replace with the engine still in the vehicle?? Sure would be nice if I didn't have to pull it.

197thhhc

You can replace the crank without pulling the engine. We used to do it at the chevy dealer i worked at. However if the crank broke in half you could have valve train damage. It would probably be easier to pull it then do a full teardown. Replacing a crank in the vehicle is a nasty tough 2 person job.

mktopside

Banned
Here's the Verdict.......the crankshaft broke just behind the second connecting rod. After reading throgh a few more threads it seems this might have happend because of a bad harmonic balancer.

Anyone know if the Crankshaft can be replace with the engine still in the vehicle?? Sure would be nice if I didn't have to pull it.
You "could" but in the end it would probably be a lot more work than if you just pulled the engine.

Your mileage may vary....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks