• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving from Texas to Bellingham Washington

red

Well, as the title states I'll be making a long distance move sometime between April and July this year. I'll be driving a 71 m35a2 up there with a shelter in the bed. Planning to go to school and enjoy the change in scenery.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Wow, that's some change. So route selection will be a critical decision considering it is a deuce with load.

red

No return trip dawico, loading everything on this drive that's not staying with the house (renting it out for some extra money).

Haha yes Carnac big change. Planning on state highways where I can through New Mexico, Utah, Idaho.

dawico

No return trip dawico, loading everything on this drive that's not staying with the house (renting it out for some extra money).

Haha yes Carnac big change. Planning on state highways where I can through New Mexico, Utah, Idaho.
I didn't mean a return trip any time soon.

I am just hoping your life journey includes a stay back in Texas.

red

Thanks. Planning to do some sight seeing along the way, take 1-2 weeks for the drive. Truck is on the 395's and muffled which makes it much more pleasant to drive at 55.

By the way, does anyone have a wrecker in that area that could help with unloading the shelter? I might have the bed roller installed before the trip but don't know yet.

michael757767

Congrats! Have you ever been in this part of the country before?? The NW is pretty nice! Bring your rain gear and be ready for several wx changes during the day. We're down here in Oregon and the climate is just about the same, but a lot less traffic!

red

I've been to Vancouver BC Canada before, very pretty area. Also spent 3 years stationed in Utah. Never lived north of Utah.

I like the outdoors a lot, especially in the mountains.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, we've got outdoors and mountains. Just a bit short on show at the moment. But Baker is usually worth the drive.

And then this is a pink year, so those pests should show up about the time you get here. Limit 4 a day.

Welcome.

red

Thank you, that will make getting the shelter off much easier.

Rhurey what does 'pink year' mean? Not gonna lie, that just went right over my head haha.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Pink Salmon only run every other year. (The odd numbered ones).

They're freaking everywhere. Hard to keep off the gear. Many a boat is sold at the end of a pink year to a buyer who goes "WTF" next season.

michael757767

I used to run a day boat commercially for salmon and bottom fish............Pinks (or humpies as we called them) are not fit to eat really as King or silver salmon...........They are good for canning, or maybe smoking...........They are the lowest level of salmon, and we considered them trash at the time, but you're stuck with them. Now red salmon, which we don't have here but are plentiful in Alaska ( I.E. right out side my daughters door on the Kenai river near Soldotna) are another story. But you have to head farther North to get those. Chinook (King) and Silver's are the mainstay for the salmon fishery this side of Canada. Lots of charters out of Seattle and other places to get your "fix"! You'll enjoy it up here. We live outside Dallas Oregon, about an hour from the coast. This area and Northward are really beautiful, but we've been thru much of Utah as well and its amazing too. Good luck on the move and look forward to talking with you more. That's a heck of a drive in the deuce, but its a beast!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
A young guy like you can probably stay up 72 hrs straight behind the steering wheel without feeling the pain. Me, I've been home a week and still feeling the trip.

michael757767

I'd be taking I B Profen sandwiches! I've done those 17-20 hr stints behind the wheel, and my hands were stuck to the wheel, and it took a pry bar to get me out of the cab, let alone straighten me up!

red

Carnac I cheated, there are MRAP seats in my deuce. 84 decibels in the cab at 55mph (compared to 99 at 50mph stock). Plus I'm planning to take 1-2 weeks on the drive.

I'm used to driving for long hours, just not in a rush on this trip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks