• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exodus Expeditionary Trucks (M1086 MTV, WRanger MTV 13, 97 Rialta V15)

richingalveston

Can you post the brand and make of the camera system you used. I have been looking at them for my 1009. I found one I like but to use it remotely you have to use the Chinese server to get to it on the internet. I don't think I will use that option but I want a dvr system.

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Such a nice rig. What brand of slide-outs did you go with?
Check this out:
We researched, ( tore up) several slide systems. “Overlanders” swear that no slides shall ever enter the kingdom, we tried them anyway, and eventually ended up with the cable system.

We retrofitted replacement HIgh Output motors, and heavy duty axles.
After 6300 miles of rough beach, gravel and off road use, total success.
Downsides- the slides move around in the fitted area, which is great for body torsion.
( picture ball and socket) BUT-
Plan on adjusting cables at regular intervals, ie; once a month or so.

Heres a short vid on the types we looked at,

Proper initial set up and adjustment is a must. brand name, (TM) ACCUSLIDE

Last edited:

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you do one locker or both rears?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just the rear for the locker,
Setting up a locker for the intermediate axle will:
1. Wear our your tires quick
2. Wear out your wallet quicker
3. You dont need it, the rear locker on the 6x6 will climb a tree.

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you post the brand and make of the camera system you used. I have been looking at them for my 1009. I found one I like but to use it remotely you have to use the Chinese server to get to it on the internet. I don't think I will use that option but I want a dvr system.
I would recommend avoiding the chinese knock offs,
Initial price is great,
But they are poor quality.
After 5200 miles, I have 2 cameras that the seals have broken and they have fogged out.

I will replace the units, but I cannot reconend the LCT brand dvr cam system

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to Roll out a new version bigger ,badder ,better, with a THEATER ROOM with theater seating and a FULL SIDE DECK....with higher end materials, flooring and 4 full power interior recliners...king size bed etc!

MTV Exodus
Western Ranger

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aussie 5T contract is completed, and is for sale!
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL, Free LMTVT CH car hauler trailer with purchase!

Merry Christmas explorers!
Are you able to pull that 1082 with your military coin fmtv on this thread?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Custom made just for the LWB 6x6s!
After i posted this question i went looking for a picture of the back of your truck and i finally found the fb footage of you backing the trailer up . My reason for asking im to the point with my build where i decide to make a slide out pintle hitch like on the 2008 and up lm/fm trucks with a longer tube or lengthen the tounges on 2 1082 trailers basicly like you did i couldnt find any pictures of the whole side of your trailer to where we can see the length of your trailer tounge my dovetail on my box only comes out roughly 4 ft past the pintle and im concerned with when i cross directly across a trench/deep whatever im trying to avoid the front top of the trailer getting into the back of my truck box . im just curious on your thoughts to either put the length in the trailer or in the truck hitch? Thanks

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After i posted this question i went looking for a picture of the back of your truck and i finally found the fb footage of you backing the trailer up . My reason for asking im to the point with my build where i decide to make a slide out pintle hitch like on the 2008 and up lm/fm trucks with a longer tube or lengthen the tounges on 2 1082 trailers basicly like you did i couldnt find any pictures of the whole side of your trailer to where we can see the length of your trailer tounge my dovetail on my box only comes out roughly 4 ft past the pintle and im concerned with when i cross directly across a trench/deep whatever im trying to avoid the front top of the trailer getting into the back of my truck box . im just curious on your thoughts to either put the length in the trailer or in the truck hitch? Thanks
concern is valid, I recommend a little RAndD to match departure angles at 40degrees, ( or whatever your truck is)
We customized the trailer to match our MTV ,
I believe at 6.4 feet tongue length.
We usually drop trailer, and equip at camp sites prior to doing heavy ditches.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
concern is valid, I recommend a little RAndD to match departure angles at 40degrees, ( or whatever your truck is)
We customized the trailer to match our MTV ,
I believe at 6.4 feet tongue length.
We usually drop trailer, and equip at camp sites prior to doing heavy ditches.
Thanks for the info im just sitting on the fence to a lot of heavy fab to a long pull out pintle receiver with a 2 in box receiver under the pintle so no matter what i backed up to i could hook to it !!! It would be easy to extend the trailer tounge on both trailers but then im back to just pullin those trailers. Anyway thanks for the reply and what a great truck youve built on top of putting slide outs in it .Ive been around alot of slide outs in busses but not in the camper world I didnt put any in my current build . Maybe the next 6x6 truck We had some problems when they first started putting them in prevost they all leaked like sives into the luggage bays they were HWH slide outs from moscow iowa they looked great with rounded corners but so many sensors had to check into the brain box you never knew if you were going to be able to put the bus in gear with its transmission over ride if it all didnt geehaw togeather once slid in but prevost came along and fixed most of the problems once they started doing slides in house i think about 2004

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh another thing you might not of run into yet but if you put any type of seating in the actual slide out OMG can of worms you will be opening since your saleing the trucks to the public you have to meet federal guide lines to put seat belt anchors that they approve !!! They put bus world thu hell saying the slide outs wernt stout enough to anchor in the event of a crash and since people can actually be in your camper build while traveling the first time someone gets a hangnail in an accident the builders would be liable if the slide out belts wernt dot approved ! just food for thought. Tis all started in 2018

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info im just sitting on the fence to a lot of heavy fab to a long pull out pintle receiver with a 2 in box receiver under the pintle so no matter what i backed up to i could hook to it !!! It would be easy to extend the trailer tounge on both trailers but then im back to just pullin those trailers. Anyway thanks for the reply and what a great truck youve built on top of putting slide outs in it .Ive been around alot of slide outs in busses but not in the camper world I didnt put any in my current build . Maybe the next 6x6 truck We had some problems when they first started putting them in prevost they all leaked like sives into the luggage bays they were HWH slide outs from moscow iowa they looked great with rounded corners but so many sensors had to check into the brain box you never knew if you were going to be able to put the bus in gear with its transmission over ride if it all didnt geehaw togeather once slid in but prevost came along and fixed most of the problems once they started doing slides in house i think about 2004
I remember the old slide lockouts- We built on to a custom ABI bus that had the lockouts on the doors, shut down the whole truck- wiring nightmare.
Our MTV slides have no locks, you can drive all over the mountains with the slides out, lol.
They are soooo easy to maintain, once you know how to adjust them. Zero issues offroad for 3800 miles now.
i like your truck mounted extended hitch idea..

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh another thing you might not of run into yet but if you put any type of seating in the actual slide out OMG can of worms you will be opening since your saleing the trucks to the public you have to meet federal guide lines to put seat belt anchors that they approve !!! They put bus world thu hell saying the slide outs wernt stout enough to anchor in the event of a crash and since people can actually be in your camper build while traveling the first time someone gets a hangnail in an accident the builders would be liable if the slide out belts wernt dot approved ! just food for thought. Tis all started in 2018
No DOT belt install required, its just like a high end 5th wheel.
All my HAB builds that can be, are RVIA certified.

Last edited:

StratoCrewzr

Aernan, BEST mod ever, heated electric, Freightliner stuff..... HOWEVER, the side metal on the doors are TOO light to handle the heavy mirrors, they will flop around.
I heavily modified the interior of the door, (stiffening and side support, and welded) to make the mirrors solid. A big pain.
Beautiful build. I've seen several go with these mirrors and stiffen the doors. I'm a new owner and learning MIG welding. I suspect TIG may come in handy as well. Are these doors Steel or Aluminum?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks