• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mtvr delivered today

chrisross

Just got a 2002 MK23 with 1000 hours and 22000 miles. A few people saw this MTVR driving around today..

The batteries that came with it were good which is unusual. The battery cutoff switch is probably a big help here, if someone else isn't intentionally replacing them here. they are Deka and don't look stock at all.

So I notice a few things. The power from the engine seems kinda low, I need to replace fuel filters, check fuel lines and all the basic stuff to see if there are obvious improvements to be had. It has been sitting for years most likely.

The transmission was shifting kinda hard at first, but this seemed to go away as it warmed up.

Also the tires seem like they are out of round and like my humvee from yermo they are turning the thing into a bounce fest. I also had a variation of this for a san bernadino county f350 from Yermo. It's hot down there. Drove it to Central Oregon bouncing the whole way. The bounce comes and goes in intensity, like the MK23. The humvee is just a constant bounce fest and I got pvc bead locks and more tires for that.

Aside from the tires having this sort of flat spot or whatever is causing the ride to turn into a trampoline park, they also have what appear to be large sharp metal objects stuck in them, at least one anyways, and significant side wall crakcs on some, all while retaining air. Also some dry rot. I won some more tires at auction last week but i'm not exactly looking forward to changing them. I only have four and at least four are toast after basic inspection.

The top turret cover is loose and there's nothing to secure it.

In all other respects things seem to be OK, I need to go through and check everything. I can't really tell if CTIS is working or not. The light on the right hand side "HWY indicator" always flashes and I think it was making some loud noise at me when I was trying to use 2-7 ton mode. Hard to tell what that was.

The suspension on here is wonderful compared to what I would expect. Heck I don't know what to expect.

I'm kinda bummed about the engine power. i hope it's not a more significant issue. I can't get past 55 or 60mph on the highway easily. It feels like the engine is missing on some cylinders when i'm trying to accelerate on the highway. the blowby was minimal but there was some. oil pressure is 30-40 while driving.

So I got a unit for $11,100 that is a bit more beat up that I was hoping for. It should have been obvious from the auction condition photos but there were not many options left and virtually none now....

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Welcome aboard, join the “What did you do to your MTVR today” discussion if you already haven’t; I have a channel on YouTube about these trucks feel free to subscribe to it

Also new batteries are normal on Yermo trucks, I know the folks out there and they usually put fresh batteries in all the runners out there and have a small budget to get each truck running. And that’s just what they do, get it running well enough for a test drive and pictures then it gets parked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Also, check your diagnostics system behind the passenger side dash, it will assist in diagnosing your issues. It will tell fuel filter restrictions, engine codes and a ton of other info as well as diagnostic tests that can be performed

You also need to purchase CAT ET and set up a laptop to run it along with Allison software and Dana CTIS software for deeper diagnostics. It can save thousands sitting at a dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chrisross,

I suggest putting some cleaner additive in the fuel. Diesel does not last forever and can gum up. I dumped a can of Seafoam in my truck when I picked it up and now it runs good. I also put in additive every time I add fuel. I use Stanadyne.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Chrisross,

I suggest putting some cleaner additive in the fuel. Diesel does not last forever and can gum up. I dumped a can of Seafoam in my truck when I picked it up and now it runs good. I also put in additive every time I add fuel. I use Stanadyne.
Its best to drain the jp8 out cause that's what is in the tank. And prime thru the system with fresh diesel with an open return and remove it all. Clean tank with vinegar and a hose if it has any residue if needed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks