• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muddling through with gauges

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, found a listing that stated - Oil pressure at idle: 10, oil pressure at full power (max): 75. The stock gauge on my rig has a range of 0 - 120. Where would the danger area be at? I'm looking at replacing this gauge...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've been pirchasing DDC mechanical oil gauges off ebay. Cheap enough and accurate

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been pirchasing DDC mechanical oil gauges off ebay. Cheap enough and accurate
Hey Simp... what is DDC? :unsure: What I come up with in my normal vernacular doesn't sound right...
Doggie Day Care
Drunk and Disorderly Conduct
Dunkin Doughnuts Corporation
Digestion Disruptive Chimichanga
Defensive Driving Course
Dirty Deeds Contractor
Please 'splain :)

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the gauge is reading correct, leave it alone!
Where's the fun in that?

I am swapping out my stock gauges and adding additional ones, also, I'm redesigning the gauge panel as well as creating a secondary panel that will mount above the driver windshield (the cab has been modified to allow this). I'm not interested in keeping the truck in stock or just going with something because it's working the way it was designed. I posted this in the "Deuce modification" because I'm working on modifying my truck away from stock. My truck has 4 fuel tanks, 3 electrical systems, 2 alternators and a partridge in a pear tree - I want gauges to monitor everything.

The unlit gauges are not satisfactory for myself - yes, the military had a very good reason for this, but this doesn't apply to me. While I have seen a few posts of people making mods to light the gauges I'm not satisfied with the results. I am pulling all my stock gauges, which all work just fine and replacing them.

While I'd like them to match, this may not be possible as it's hard to find a line that has everything I want that is suitable for this sort of vehicle.. I have looked at the SW Deluxe line and it's pretty close, but I'd have to go outside the line from some items.

I was just curious as to an upper limit in oil pressure and where the danger zone would be.

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard to say at exactly what pressure a given engine might start blowing seals etc.. What I do know is that I had a bad oil pressure regulator that would allow pressure to spike and bounce the needle on an 80 PSI gauge after a cold start. I have the Jatonka Spin-on filter kits and it would still take 15 seconds to build that spiking pressure. I'm convinced the excessive pressure was blowing out the anti-drainbacks in the filters, allowing them to drain back to the sump after shutdown, causing the extended time to build pressure again. With a new regulator and new filters I now have pressure in just a few seconds, and it never gets above 70 or below 25. I don't see any reason to not consider the spec'd 75 PSI as the upper limit with normal viscosity and if all components in the pressure system are supplying properly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks