• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler issues

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy gang! Got an issue with an mep 007b. The gasket that holds the muffler in place and stops it from rattling is gone. I found the gasket (71-4396) in the manual but its no where to be found online. Anyone have an idea on how to keep it centered?

Attachments

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can buy some high temp gasket material and just make up a gasket and have in large enough to grab the bolts. You could cut up some header wrap to make a good gasket.

Easy fix.

Mark
If you can't find anything better, you might look for some thin wood stove gasket rope.

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can buy some high temp gasket material and just make up a gasket and have in large enough to grab the bolts. You could cut up some header wrap to make a good gasket.

Easy fix.

Mark
Thanks. I dont know if the gasket paper will hold up to the vibration over time. Maybe a muffler wrap or the stove rope will.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would figure out where your true center should be on this machine for the muffler placement, open the hole up in this plate, and install a large high temp grommet. Even if its not OEM, if you open the hole up, respective to center, the grommet will grab the thickness of the plate, and take up most of the difference.

Should be good enough for this application. Ideas: https://www.zoro.com/rubber-grommets/c/10291/

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would figure out where your true center should be on this machine for the muffler placement, open the hole up in this plate, and install a large high temp grommet. Even if its not OEM, if you open the hole up, respective to center, the grommet will grab the thickness of the plate, and take up most of the difference.

Should be good enough for this application. Ideas: https://www.zoro.com/rubber-grommets/c/10291/
Im even thinking of centering it and just weld it in place. Fuggetaboutit.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you not just open the hole slightly and move on with life? Its for rain entry only really... if the hole is large enough the oscillation of the muffler will just not hit any sides.

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you not just open the hole slightly and move on with life? Its for rain entry only really... if the hole is large enough the oscillation of the muffler will just not hit any sides.
The issue is that the muffler has an area that is flex piping. When that gasket goes, the flex pipe start rubbing against the genset chassis till it breaks. I have 3 of these units with the exact same problem.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh I see. Well maybe something outside of the box then... not sure what the OD of the muffler pipe is, but maybe a two piece flange that you can tighten correctly, then drill holes into the case for a final location?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks