• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mule 1st year Gov used elec starter

RodUSMC1962

Your wise to want one with electric starter, ours were all pull start, like a lawn mower. I always figured that is why they called them 'mules'.We usually had a couple guys push them or pulled them with a mighty mite to start them. Fun hard working things once they were running. :beer:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were the early ones different from those available today? If not any of the 3 mule dealers will have them.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are you asking what the first year was that the military bought mules with electric starters? I think it's either '68 or '70, on a few A5's.

I do not think there were very many factory electric start mules. If you're trying to copy the factory style, there's a box that mounts on the steering column for the switch, a battery box and an alternator and voltage regulator from a late Sixties Chrysler product.

rexman

Thanks just wanted to know if made and used by our troops. no my starter failed and thinking about how it got its name was going get a stock pull starter put the cord out on side not front big handle just set it to start and rip on it from the side pull was going to use. but got a 12 volt gear reduction, with full battery it would not turn it over bench test throw the juice to her want to walk away, had a old prestolight from mr.grove,the ingager to fly wheel won't come out to ingage to start. Motor is free with or with out plugs.Hopeing something else works i plow snow in the winter keep my place from being snow in.in summer she is out in the woods.run chains on the 4 wheel steer.So She is alwise rocking and a rolling

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

nickd

The electric starter was specifically added to accommodate the addition of the TOW weapons system for the mule. The starter used by the military was supplied by prescolite. They are hard to find. Wide tires ,fenders. Alternator and a transient voltage suppression system were added as well. Other additions included mule specific bed mounted brackets just to mount the TOW equipment on a mule.

byrdman1312

Nick is right. The mule upgrade starter was a Prestolite. It also required the use of a starter solenoid, voltage regulator, and alternator. All MOPAR, same as M880 trucks. The wide wheels and tires were same as used on some trenching machines. Fenders were added for the use of wide tires. The upgrade was done at depot level for 18th Airborne Corps (101 ABN and 82 ABN). This upgrade was done primarily for the TOW system, although some were not fitted with TOWs. Many were used for cargo, along with the mules with the TOW equipped. Some were at forward refuel/rearm points for helicopters, hauling ammo. at artillery positions, and general infantry use. All models used by the Army, from the A3 - A5 were upgraded, mostly A5s. As far as I know the USMC never upgraded theirs. In the late 70's and early 80's, the 101 ABN, Division Maint. Wpns. Shop mounted some mini-guns to some mules for the 160 Special Ops. Aviation Reg. and 5th Special Forces Group. My dad was a wpns. mechanic and did the mounts.
From a collectors point of view, if you see a mule with wide wheels and no fenders, it's not correct. If you want a starter for a mule the new Bosh starters with the solenoid attached is the way to go. You don't need a separate voltage regulator or starter solenoid. Any single wire alternator will work to charge the battery.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to figure out if you just want A starter for the mule, or you want the CORRECT starter for the mule. I'll bet that most mule owners just have A starter whch works well, or if your going to do a resto and you want all the correct stuff (MOPAR alternator in the box, voltage regulator, ect. The correct stuff is hard to find, but out there... Nothing wrong with either way, just decide what you want to do and we can help you.

I's stay away from the wide tires as they lead to premature wheel bearing failure if not kept on top of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks