• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mulemac01 M275 2 1/2 ton Gas truck tractor ON-GOING restoration and rebuild tread.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector

tommys2patrick

Great save! There can't be many gasser versions left around of this model. I think there is a web site called G749 if my memory is correct. It an older version of the M35/44 that had gas engines I believe. Perhaps they can provide some options for common maintenance items.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Most of the big surplus dealers should have parts for it, nothing should be hard to find. I know I've got some NOS and used engine parts, as well as a complete parts engine if you need anything. It looks like you've got all the tractor specific pieces so it shouldn't be a long search to get everything.

IMG_3429.jpgIMG_3427.jpg

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I also noticed in the pictures in your other thread that your truck has the forward mounts for an m59 dump bed (right on either side of the pioneer tool rack). I haven't noticed that on other m275s, but maybe it's just an early thing.

MuleMac01

Having some issues finding filters. I got the oil filters for this thing, now I need a tank fuel filter P/n 7397840 in the TM after 4 hours of searching part numbers off the TM, and parttarget, and the lack of any info on filters numbers on the early gasser trucks ( seems like every topic is one about multifuels ), i'm coming up with blank any help will be helpful. I found rebuild kits for the fuel pump and rebuild kits for the carb if I need one. Anyone know what have I gotten my self into here? Should I just add a spin fuel filter on the frame somewhere before the pump?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe stocks of the unusual in-tank filter are long gone. What most people do is add a simple in-line filter before the fuel pump. It the original filter is still there, I think you can clean it by soaking in a strong solvent.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Mac, here are a few pics of the semi trailer part of the harness. It branches off from the rear harness right about where the brake cable comes through the frame.
IMG_3433.jpgIMG_3432.jpgIMG_3434.jpg

MuleMac01

Just a Weekly update we Were finally were able to tear into the truck this past weekend and didn't like what I was seeing. First we drained the oil about 7 gal of oil /gas with chunky crap came out the drain plug also looked inside the oil filter and looked like a bomb went off rust and more chunky crap in it, by this point I was thinking fuel pump was bad witch it was. Next we tried to turn the engine over by hand no luck, then we tried to do it by 3/4 breaker bar and still no luck so my engine is seized, so last night I made the decision to rebuild the engine.

MuleMac01

Well yesterday we removed the engine from the truck and took off the valve cover and look what I see no wonder it's seized rust / rust. Engine must of had a crack in the water jacket letting water in the oilIMG_1146.jpgIMG_1145.jpgIMG_1144.jpg

Last edited:

OD_Coyote

Wow!!! I am sorry to see that. If you were closer I would give you my running OA-331 that came out of my 1951 REO M47.
Have tried to source parts for your engine?

tommys2patrick

What a blessing that you had a spare engine. Cudo's to you for keeping it gas! Anything salvageable from the old one, distributor, carb etc. never know when they might come in handy.

MuleMac01

Spent some time today cleaning the transmission spicer 3052 had in some places 1/4 of crud baked onto it., and rebuilt the Holley 885 ffg carburetor .

IMG_1159.jpgIMG_1158.jpgIMG_1142.jpgIMG_1143.jpg

Last edited:

MuleMac01

Nothing major last few weeks just getting items ready to go back in the truck. Striped the valve cover after Getting rid of the rust Will paint with high temperature primer and then paint OD green like rest of the engine. Got another Holley carb and rebuilt that will be a spare also rebuilt fuel pump, got a new front wiring harness for gas engines and we turned over the engine by battery's outside the truck to make sure it works and everything's great.IMG_1181.jpgIMG_1183.jpgIMG_1234.jpgvalve cover befor striping Will post pictures when painted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks