• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MUTT question

Josep66

Hi everybody.

pretty new here. My name is Josep and I am close to own a MUTT M151A2.
Question is about the numbers those jeeps use to have on the sides of the hood, and some other places. I know they mean the batallón, company, etc… where they belonged but where to find info about that.?
if I want to stamp numbers, what numbers should I put for real.?
Those jeeps were used in Viet Nam and mine (hopefully!) was built in 1969
28A41DA2-3D4F-4333-9666-7FC08FDE660C.jpeg

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the number on the hood sides is the USA registration number, basically the VIN... That number will be on the dash tag , and if I recall correctly, should start with "02" if an ex-Army jeep... Main Organization (Div, BN, Regt, etc) goes on the passenger-side front bumper, driver side rear .. Unit (Company etc) and individual truck number (such as B-11) goes on driver-side front bumper, passenger side rear .. Marines, Navy, AF etc used a slightly different method..

There is a way to sometimes discover the assigned unit of a vehicle via the USA number, but it doesn't work for all.. There is a database on this website somewhere but I do not know if it covers jeeps.. I am guessing "yours" has no bumper numbers however sometimes one can see an outline underneath the paint, or after the paint is sanded off

My professional advice on the M151 as a former army licensing administrator/road-tester , try not to slide sideways anywhere, don't take turns fast nor sharp, nor stop hard on blacktop, among other things .. I have been to a few too many M151 mishaps in the 70's-80's.. And if you feel the "lean" in a corner, it is too late and you're well on the way to a headache or worse.. The M151A2 is more stable than the earlier A1 and base models, but still was not perfect and can be dangerous even deadly in uneducated hands.. We spent over a week in MTOC just on the M151 and its quirks before moving on to the big trucks.

I was always impressed with the M151's sure-footed straight up/straight down hill climbing ability, but that was about it ... PS, had to drive a ragtop mutt with no heater 3 hours through a sudden snowstorm on my way back from a tank company's location. Was the only vehicle out there except for an occasional oncoming truck. With wind gusts blowing me all over the road in places, I thought for sure the day would end with it stuck in a ditch or a drift, or blown head-on into something else .. No radio, no heat, nothing but the window scraper I grabbed from my truck .. Glad to see "yours" has tires that will do just fine no matter what. We have a saying about military non-directional tires ; they can take you in every direction you don't want to go

Last edited:

Josep66

Thank youu very much Sir, I really appreciate your help.
I will look for any underneath number but I don’t espect to find any.
Anyways, I will continue looking for info, but yours have been of great help, thanks.!
And thanks for the advise on driving it.!! I have read about those problems so I will take care.!!

Josep

PS: BTW, I’m located in ibiza island, western Mediterranean Sea. The MUTT is here.!

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank. You very much Sir, I really appreciate your help.
I will look for any underneath number but I don’t especio to find any.
Anyways, I will continue looking for info, but yours have been of great help, thanks.!

Josep

PS: BTW, I’m located in ibiza island, western Mediterranean Sea. The MUTT is here.!
Welcome to the Outfit!

We have the TM's (Technical Manuals) for the MUTT available as a free download. Don't hesitate to spend a little time reading. Especially the -10 version that is similar to the owner's manual in a civilian vehicle. I'm sure it has words of warning about safety in that book before you start ripping down the road.

When you get your MUTT, be sure to post up some pictures for us to "oooh and ahhh" over.

Thanks for joining up and don't hesitate to ask questions here. Several of our members own and regularly drive their M151's

Again, Welcome to the group!

Josep66

Welcome to the Outfit!

We have the TM's (Technical Manuals) for the MUTT available as a free download. Don't hesitate to spend a little time reading. Especially the -10 version that is similar to the owner's manual in a civilian vehicle. I'm sure it has words of warning about safety in that book before you start ripping down the road.

When you get your MUTT, be sure to post up some pictures for us to "oooh and ahhh" over.

Thanks for joining up and don't hesitate to ask questions here. Several of our members own and regularly drive their M151's

Again, Welcome to the group!
Thank you very much.! I will look for that TM and download it for sure.!

Alright, i will do asap, but first I have to close the deal and then I could say is mine.! At the moment still waiting..

My pleasure.! I know there must be many knowledgeable people here so I have a lot to learn from them.

And thanks for the welcome, pleasure to be here.!

Josep

Josep66

Thank you very much.! I will look for that TM and download it for sure.!

Alright, i will do asap, but first I have to close the deal and then I could say is mine.! At the moment still waiting..

My pleasure.! I know there must be many knowledgeable people here so I have a lot to learn from them.

And thanks for the welcome, pleasure to be here.!

Josep
Regarding the antenna, I have seen some MUTTs with it on the right side and others on the left side, where would be the correct side for that.? Or it doesn’t really matters.?

Thanks again,

Josep

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Regarding the antenna, I have seen some MUTTs with it on the right side and others on the left side, where would be the correct side for that.? Or it doesn’t really matters.?

Thanks again,

Josep
It seems that a lot of radio devices are installed at the unit level. I don't know that there is a specific side of the truck (vehicle) for the antenna to be installed on. I can say that most of the trucks that I have seen with whips are on the back right.

Josep66

It seems that a lot of radio devices are installed at the unit level. I don't know that there is a specific side of the truck (vehicle) for the antenna to be installed on. I can say that most of the trucks that I have seen with whips are on the back right.
Thanks again Mullany, that is also a good help..!
Since is easy to change side, I will do once I own it.
Further project will be to find the correct radio for that vehicle, it doesn’t matter operative or not. Can you tell me what was the radio used in that era.? Thanks.

Josep

Josep66

Hi guys,

just asking about the correct letter markings on the sides (below fuel neck, above the axe) of the M151 as well as for the stars in the front cowl (RH and LH) sides, what were the correct ones to reproduce them in my M151.?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks again Mullany, that is also a good help..!
Since is easy to change side, I will do once I own it.
Further project will be to find the correct radio for that vehicle, it doesn’t matter operative or not. Can you tell me what was the radio used in that era.? Thanks.

Josep
I understand that the radio might have been a RT-524 or a R-442.
To be honest, that is just from reading that I have done on this site.

Hopefully @SCSG-G4 can give more technically correct answers.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi guys,

just asking about the correct letter markings on the sides (below fuel neck, above the axe) of the M151 as well as for the stars in the front cowl (RH and LH) sides, what were the correct ones to reproduce them in my M151.?
We have a couple of members here that create "sticker sets" or "stencil sets" for jeeps and trucks. ePay is also loaded up with sets of stickers for former military vehicles.

Josep66

We have a couple of members here that create "sticker sets" or "stencil sets" for jeeps and trucks. ePay is also loaded up with sets of stickers for former military vehicles.
I will have that in mind and if no other choice, I will contact them. My friend (the actual owner) has templates for lettering and has stamped some in his Willys, so maybe we can also do that in the M151A2.
Thanks for the info buddy.!

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vietnam era MUTT's would have an RT-524 and sometimes also an R-442 to listen on another channel/frequency. IE RT = receiver-transmitter, R = receiver. There is also an RT-246 that has 10 preset channels/frequencies that needs an external speaker because of the preset controls. Battalion level commo jeeps could have multiple radios. A 442 to listen for higher HQ messages, a 246 to quickly switch between companies and support units and the 524 to talk to adjoining battalions.

Josep66

Vietnam era MUTT's would have an RT-524 and sometimes also an R-442 to listen on another channel/frequency. IE RT = receiver-transmitter, R = receiver. There is also an RT-246 that has 10 preset channels/frequencies that needs an external speaker because of the preset controls. Battalion level commo jeeps could have multiple radios. A 442 to listen for higher HQ messages, a 246 to quickly switch between companies and support units and the 524 to talk to adjoining battalions.
Wow! Incredible information buddy, appreciate it a lot.!
A pleasure to learn from you.!
Thank you Sir for the valuable information..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks