• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my 200a1 married my m997 ambulance body

peecook

So my idea started out as taking my ammo trailer and finding a S-250, but that would have been too easy. A few months ago I got an ambulance body out of Camp Lejeune, big thanks to Captain (alredneck) for making that trip and getting it up here. I had a couple m200a1s and thought that once I got the box up here I could make it work. Here are the first few pics.

Attachments

peecook

while i was trying to figure out how to get the box mounted on the trailer, GL was nice enough to post this trailer for sale down in Ft Bragg. It solved all of my problems, the box is 7 feet wide, there are 4 inches on both sides. i did have to make a decision on the front overhang, obviously it pushed the box a little further than I would have liked, but I'll show you how it worked out.
Big thanks to Cabell (CGarbee) for getting the trailer to Richmond.

Attachments

peecook

here is proof that we can all get along, Ford and John Deere working together to get the HMMWV body in the air and on the trailer. this is where we opened the doors of the m109 to make sure there was sufficient clearance.

Attachments

peecook

started working on closing up the wheel wells. I've framed them and will cover them with 18 gauge sheet metal this week. I have a couple a panel covers that were missing when I got it, I'll close them up this week too. There was a homemade roof rack on the box when I got it, so I'll also make a ladder this week to get up there. Here are pics of the wheel well, I'll post follow up pics later this week.

Attachments

AaronW

Good Idea!

:idea: The open wheel well areas might make good storage if you can fab up some sort of locking door.

OOPS. I was writing this as you posted #5. haha

Last edited:

tm america

hmm they would make nice compartments to be accessed from the inside no need to make locking doors or go outside in the rain to get at your stuff.how tall is the abulance inside :roll:looks pretty cool

peecook

hmm they would make nice compartments to be accessed from the inside no need to make locking doors or go outside in the rain to get at your stuff.how tall is the abulance inside :roll:looks pretty cool
its about 5'10 inches. i cant stand straight up, but close enough.

peecook

I was thinking the same thing but using a m105 trailer. Do you think it would fit/work??
Yours looks cool.

I just tried finding the pic of a 105/997 body combo, I came across it awhile ago and forgot to save it. I'd be happy to give you exact dimensions of the box, but I dont have a m105 so I cant help you with that.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks pretty slick, Jason! I like the concept! You and oilcan are tied in my book as to who has the coolest single-axle camping trailer so far!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the 105 or even the 103A3 would force the body to be too far forward because of the wheel wells. I'm guessing that the 105 would be too narrow as well. As far as closing up the fender wells, one would make a great battery storage area and the other possibly a water tank. Another thought is the porch in front would be nice to house a generator or a big tunnel box like on the M750 semi trailers. Is that a 2 or 4 litter body?

peecook

I think the 105 or even the 103A3 would force the body to be too far forward because of the wheel wells. I'm guessing that the 105 would be too narrow as well. As far as closing up the fender wells, one would make a great battery storage area and the other possibly a water tank. Another thought is the porch in front would be nice to house a generator or a big tunnel box like on the M750 semi trailers. Is that a 2 or 4 litter body?

It is the 4 liter. I recently came across a 2 liter and dont think it would be as useful. The nice think about the overhang is that you can still use the door to get into it and dont have to go around back. So far, the overhang has covered firewood for 2 camping trips.

MaxiMan

:idea: Quote: <<There was a homemade roof rack on the box when I got it, so I'll also make a ladder this week to get up there. >>

That's indeed a nice thing to have on the ambulance, a roof rack; you see the military with spare wheels on the roof sometimes, with 'straps' to hold them down...:oops:

But anyway, I keep my Maxi Ambulance M997A2 with a 'clean roof'...

All the best!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks