• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MY Airpack Rebuild with Photos!

DeucesWild11

So here is my airpack rebuild. There have been other posts out there but I took allot of pics and thought I would post all the info I have learned in one place. I wanted to show it visually so you can actually see the parts in it. I have learned so much on this site it’s time for me to give back something useful.. For me the rebuild was not that bad considering.. I broke one air line and one brake line getting it off just because it was that badly rusted. Easily replaced with stock sizes from an autopart store. Once I had it on my workbench the fun started.

First off what you need. Get the TM 9-2320-209-34-2-1 Instead of telling you the section which could get confusing it’s pages 569-608 of the pdf of this TM. Also take a look at the Correction that I listed in the attached pics. This mentions the difference in the seal size for the piston cup seal vs. pushrod seal. I didn’t have any confusion here as I took pics of it as I took it apart and put it back together the same way. The seals didn’t seem that similar to me. I bought my rebuild kit from Eriks for $108, Sure beats $500 for a complete airpack and for that price it was worth a try if I messed it up.

Tools you need. I used a plumbing torch to heat up some bolts that didn’t easily free up. That worked out pretty well. I purchased two cylinder hones, from NAPA, one for the air cylinder Part # BK 7769220 $22.50 and one for the pushrod tube BK 7769223 $12.60. Now looking at the site you can get a three pack on Cylinder Hones BK 7769227 for $26.10.. Argghh! You may also be able to get away with some fine grit sand paper and steel wool but for $26.10 that’s not a big investment.. I also used a small wire wheel on my drill to clean up some pieces as well. Also used some Honing Oil on the two hones when honing the cylinders. I am sure 3 in 1 oil would work fine too. Also some basic tools to have around, crescent wrench, socket set, needle nose pliers. Oh yeah and get a small pipe bender from an auto part store if you plan on replacing some break or air lines it’s a lifesaver! I also used my Sandblast booth to clean up the parts on the outside.

I don’t think there is a wrong way to take apart the Airpack but going by the TM would help. I started with the large Air Cylinder and worked my way across. The Air Cylinder piston will push out when you have all the nuts off the back as it is under slight pressure with the big spring in the cylinder. That was the only PITA thing that I was dealing with when putting back together. All else was pretty easy if you have Patience.. I took my time with it and did it in about two weeks. I was in no rush, I am sure you can do it in a weekend but it may not look as pretty as mine.. ha ha.. I painted it with a Rustoleum Rust Reformer primer from and then painted flat black to match my truck.. The aluminum end I left unpainted, thought it would look cool.

I am going to try and post all before and after pics next to each other for easy comparison.

Hope this helps you if you plan on doing the rebuild! Remember PATIENCE!!

Attachments

Last edited:

DeucesWild11

Here is where I think the real problem was.. the piston seal is much larger in diameter on the inside then the new one. That could have been where my brake fluid was getting through to the air cylinder and then coming out the slobber tube in the engine compartment.

Attachments

DeucesWild11

Now this piece had some marking or chafing where I am pointing the razor blade. That may have caused that little brass piston to get stuck, there were some pretty good marks on there you may even be able to see in the pics. Perhaps that was causing some of my brake lockups if it was not releasing?? I don't know what all these things do.. I was just taking apart cleaning and rebuilding.

Attachments

DeucesWild11

Oh yeah I broke the last seal to go on. It was way too tight, I tried to put it on gently but then SNAP! I used some gasket maker from the auto store. Put a bead of that around it and it worked fine. Oh and a pic of the pipe bender which which works great!

Did I forget to mention after I bled the brakes it works great now! I Can finally STOP!!

Attachments

DeucesWild11

Yeah first time out I came to a stop sign and decided to hit the brakes hard and it jerked me forward.. Didn't expect that.. Works great now.. Now off to the bad zipper boot on the front axle..

DeucesWild11

As I said in my original post, I have learned so much from this site, I wanted to post something of worth to you all that have helped me along the way.. Pay it forward if you will...So much more to learn about my deuce.. can't wait.

PS: I think I may have watched a little too much American Restoration during the rebuild..

Thanks!

DeucesWild11

Oh one thing I forgot to mention. I sprayed down everything with a very light coat of WD40 before putting back together, just to help with lubrication and to keep out corrosion..

ARYankee

Oh one thing I forgot to mention. I sprayed down everything with a very light coat of WD40 before putting back together, just to help with lubrication and to keep out corrosion..

WD40???? You should have used a light coating of maybe O ring lube. WD40 and O rings not a good mixture.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks