• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Crew Cab 4x4 Deuce Build

joshs1ofakindxj

I just can't take it anymore. The deuce has been great to me in original form, but it's time to go wild. Everybody and their brother can buy a regular deuce and drive it around. I want my own crew cab 4x4 with a M105 bed. I've been reading build threads and I have a good idea of what I'm in for. I found a cab already to attach to mine and I have the M105 suspension and trailer body.

I've been trying to talk myself into a bobber and then it hit me, I love the size of my truck and want to keep it the same length. I want a full length 4x4.

My bed is sold and will be gone in 2 weeks. I'll pick up my second cab and prep it for mock up. I'll tear down my M105 and sit the bed on the frame. At that point I'll decide where the axle goes. I've read the discussions, and I will be going with the M105 springs and frame bolted and welded to the deuce frame with heavy reinforcement. Planning on a lot of 1/2" Grade 8 bolts and 3/16 7018 rods burned in.

I plan on a soft top so I can mount a gun pedestal right in the center of the cab.

I want the largest tires I can fit without a lift. The lift might come after, but not at the same time.

One thing I have no clue about is if I need one long driveshaft or a two piece shaft with a pillow block support bearing? The rear axle will be pretty far back. Not sure how long of a shaft is possible.

Any advice for the major hurdles in front of me or pitfalls would be appreciated.

Back to reading more build threads...

M-1028

I just can't take it anymore. The deuce has been great to me in original form, but it's time to go wild. Everybody and their brother can buy a regular deuce and drive it around. I want my own crew cab 4x4 with a M105 bed. I've been reading build threads and I have a good idea of what I'm in for. I found a cab already to attach to mine and I have the M105 suspension and trailer body.

I've been trying to talk myself into a bobber and then it hit me, I love the size of my truck and want to keep it the same length. I want a full length 4x4.

My bed is sold and will be gone in 2 weeks. I'll pick up my second cab and prep it for mock up. I'll tear down my M105 and sit the bed on the frame. At that point I'll decide where the axle goes. I've read the discussions, and I will be going with the M105 springs and frame bolted and welded to the deuce frame with heavy reinforcement. Planning on a lot of 1/2" Grade 8 bolts and 3/16 7018 rods burned in.

I plan on a soft top so I can mount a gun pedestal right in the center of the cab.

I want the largest tires I can fit without a lift. The lift might come after, but not at the same time.

One thing I have no clue about is if I need one long driveshaft or a two piece shaft with a pillow block support bearing? The rear axle will be pretty far back. Not sure how long of a shaft is possible.

Any advice for the major hurdles in front of me or pitfalls would be appreciated.

Back to reading more build threads...
Drive shaft length depends on the rpms it will see and tubing size. A good rule of thumb is never do a one piece longer than 72", at that length it's near impossible to balance regaurdless of tubing size.

Jakelc15

I'm looking forward to your build. I can't remember how far away you are, but if you need any help let me know.
Since your keeping it full length, you could move the transfer case back a few inches and use the drive shaft from between the tandems. That would leave room for an 18 speed double overdrive later!

joshs1ofakindxj

I'm looking forward to your build. I can't remember how far away you are, but if you need any help let me know.
Since your keeping it full length, you could move the transfer case back a few inches and use the drive shaft from between the tandems. That would leave room for an 18 speed double overdrive later!
Speaking of transfer cases, I still have to put that air shift back together. It's been pushed under my work bench collecting dust for too long. Talk about lame on my part!

Thanks for the drive shaft info everyone.

joshs1ofakindxj

Step 1 is complete: acquire second cab! No rust and $300, complete with dash, gauges, windows in the doors, spring seat, even a nice fire extinguisher bracket!

0828031946.jpg

Reckless

My driveshaft was 98 inches. Its a 2 piece with a carrier bearing mounted on the cross support behind the air tanks.

joshs1ofakindxj

Sweet. That is pretty much what I'm going for, but I'm still thinking about if I can pull off a soft top...or both?

I like the ladder to get to the roof rack. Good use of all that real estate up there.

Remm

I seen this truck and trailer in Benson. Don't have any idea who owns the rig, but it was a nice set up from what I had seen going through town.

joshs1ofakindxj

I got my leaf spring mounts and plates from Ballistic Fab too. They were quick to ship and well packaged. Can't wait to hot glue them to my axle.

Also picked up a passenger side step and battery compartment assembly this evening for $25. What a deal! Now I just need to get lucky and find the driver side step and tool box assembly.

Chevyman_15237

Go for the soft top Josh! The stitching in mine ripped the other day coming back from Kiefers; I'm going to stop down at Neilly and see what they recommend to stitch it back together. They have the capability to make a custom soft top http://neillycanvas.com/index.html, you would have to probably take your truck down so that they could get dimensions.

Jakelc15

Hey Josh, I think I have a drivers side tool box with the brackets and step. Might take me a week or two to get it out of my trailer. $ 25 if you want to pick it up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks