• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my Deuce is slow

rivired

Ok so sorry if this is a repost...

but ever since ive been a member ive read about people trying to make there trucks go faster and how there too slow ect ect..

now i know this is not a vehicle meant for speed...but mine seems unusually sluggish...

the turbo spools good,spins high..the motor sounds a lil more "BARKY" than alot of others ive heard... but sounds good.hardly any smoke once warm...will rev itself up to 2600 on the highway..

but aceleration takes forever..it will not even accelerate through 4th gear on the slightest hill..even with a QUICK shift...

anwyays just wanted to get some feedback..and ya i have fresh fuel and a fresh air cleaner..only one i havnt done yet is fuel filters

Chevytruck

turn up the fuel is one way to give it more power = faster acceleration

to make them go faster put bigger tires on them

those are simple ways to modify the truck :-D

wsucougarx

Yah, turn the fuel up a bit. The M35A2C I purchased was very sluggish. I asked the guy who I bought it from and he apparently turned the fuel way down to pass emissions. Once the fuel was turned up it was good to go

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter

but ever since ive been a member ive read about people trying to make there trucks go faster and how there too slow ect ect..

now i know this is not a vehicle meant for speed...but mine seems unusually sluggish...

the turbo spools good,spins high..the motor sounds a lil more "BARKY" than alot of others ive heard... but sounds good.hardly any smoke once warm...will rev itself up to 2600 on the highway..

but aceleration takes forever..it will not even accelerate through 4th gear on the slightest hill..even with a QUICK shift...

anwyays just wanted to get some feedback..and ya i have fresh fuel and a fresh air cleaner..only one i havnt done yet is fuel filters
Once again heard if you spell there name right it's good for 5 mph.

:ditto:
Have you ridden in or driven another deuce that is "running as designed" to compare it to? Maybe you are expecting too much.

Also, another thought .. has it been faster in the past and you notice it getting slower, or has it always been this way?

Rick

Last edited:

Michael

I have three, one sounds like yours, one will accelerate in 5th on most hills you will find on highways and one is in between. All came that way from GL. I am thinking the strong one has had the pump turned up too much to not have a pyro, the middle is about stock and the weak one needs some work.

54reo

When I bought my '67 deuce, "C" turbo, it would barely get into second gear (not enough power). I managed to get into third once, going downhill. So, I did the basics. Read the manuals, searched and read all I could find on this site, and chatted on the chat rooms on occasion.

Changed all three fuel filters, took the in-tank pump assembly out of the tank to check the condition of the intake screen, and carefully went over the entire length of fuel line from the tank to the IP. A new air filter was installed as well. After all of this, it was still the same. Well, I did notice a small improvement, but it would not get above 20mph.

So, I purchased a pyro, researched all about them right here on SS, and decided to mount it pre-turbo. Removed the turbo (literally a 10 minute ordeal), drilled and tapped two holes in the manifold (one on either side of the divider) and plugged one.

I then cut the safety wires through the bolts retaining the cover over the fuel adjustment screw, and removed the cover. AH.... now I found it! The fuel rate adjustment screw has two nuts (jamb nut arrangement), both of which were loose! The nuts must have slowly backed off over time to the point it was when I purchased it. (The previous owner believed it needed a new IP)

I then gradually (read: 1/4 turn at a time) adjusted the fuel rate and drove the truck. It took 2-1/4 full turns of the nuts to get where I am now. It will run at 700*-800* on a flat run, while seeing 1050* on a long run up a big hill. It has never gone over 1050*.

Michael

How does your truck handle the hills. Is it like my strong one and will accelerate to red line on all but the steepest of hills?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks