• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Guntruck build.

SMOKEWAGON66

So having decided a few months ago to turn my M109A3 into a guntruck, i have made a little progress. After trading the box for a bed and installing the bed, i had to rebuild my transmission. While she was in the Garage getting mended, i started painting it black. I didnt do much for paint removal other then a good scuffing, and removing/sanding rusty spots. Im almost finished with a good base coat of flat black and once thats done, ill put a second coat with some semi gloss black and a yellow stripe on the hood. Looking through "The Hard Ride" ive gotten alot of ideas and dimensions/schemes to adopt into my build. Also ill be adding in some of my own experience with GunTrucks and adding my own flare here and there to make it my own. This will be a carshow/parade/special event truck only and will be plated with historic plates. Anyhow id welcome feedback, opinions, advice or anything else anybody would like to post here. Here is a pic of how it looked when i got it, and how it looks now.

what do you guys think?

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Looks like an excellent start on a noble adventure.

Two deuce GTs come to mind immediately... Jatanka's Aces and Eights and Physchotic Reaction...both are SS members and there are pics in the Guntruck section of the forum.

Also, Driver523 can prolly give you some good info/advice on deuce GTs.

Just askin...have you thought about a name yet?

P.S. the yellow nose w/stripe is an 8th Group thing.

Good luck with the project. I don't think there is a GT on the west coast...that I know of anyway...and there should be!:beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

Just askin...have you thought about a name yet?

P.S. the yellow nose w/stripe is an 8th Group thing.
Yah, Im gonna call it the "Smoke Wagon", since its my truck, and i was called SmokeWagon....figured it fitting. The "nose art" will be a covered wagon with 2 rather derelict/ragged looking horses, and blazing gun barrels of some sort sticking out the back. Havent quite drawn it out yet but i think it'll be cool.

As for the yellow stripe, i didnt realize that was a unit specific thing. Guess ill have to go back and research some more on units. The bumper numbers i will use will be the ones i earned of my Gun in iraq, and if those units coinside somehow, then i may use the stripe anyway. if not, then i wont. Im going for a tribute thats fictional, but accurate, if that makes any sense.

"66th Transportation Company Lineage

Constituted 1 May 1936 in the Regular Army as Company B, 1st Battalion, 46th Quartermaster Regiment

Activated 1 April 1942 at Camp Murray, Washington

Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1942 as Company B, 1st Battalion, 46th Quartermaster Truck Regiment

Reorganized and redesignated 19 December 1943 as the 3482d Quartermaster Truck Company

Inactivated 16 June 1946 in Italy

Converted and redesignated 1 August 1946 as the 3482d Transportation Corps Truck Company

Redesignated 6 March 1947 as the 66th Transportation Corps Truck Company

Redesignated 19 May 1947 as the 66th Transportation Truck Company

Activated 20 June 1947 in Germany

Reorganized and redesignated 15 January 1950 as the 66th Transportation Heavy Truck Company

Reorganized and redesignated 5 June 1953 as the 66th Transportation Company

66th Transportation Company Honors

Campaign Participation Credit

World War II - EAME: Tunisia; Sicily; Naples-Foggia; Rome-Arno

Decorations

Army Superior Unit Award for GERMANY 1983-1986"

Last edited:

barrygar8

smokewagon66
I had the guns and thought this would be a good way to show and talk to people abought them my truck is madeout what i had or could find at shows i named my truck the road rage so i could do it my way i tell everyone to look up gun trucks on the web to see how they lived and died on the real trucks.
looks like a grate start
barrygar8

Attachments

TheWeatherMan

very cool... I already have plans for my next truck to be a 5 ton gun truck. I was debating turning my deuce into a gun truck but I just painted her, so not for a few years if that.

bones1

Barrygar8, that is a fantastic gun truck. Where does one get the guns for such a conversion?.Where would I begin to search for info on converting my Deuce into one of these?.

barrygar8

bones1, i bilt the gun,s back as semiauto from parts kits the kits are getting harder to find but you can buy semiauto
for 7500.00 or get dummy guns for a lot less we shoot the guns but i have not shot the guns off the truck yet but
i need to drive it up to the range and let them eat but the price of 50cal. you haft to keep them on a diet these were
all m3 guns if they were full auto they shoot 1100 rpm x 4 guns x $3.50 = $15,400.00 thats why we shoot them a little and
look at them on the truck allot.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barrygar8, that is a fantastic gun truck. Where does one get the guns for such a conversion?.Where would I begin to search for info on converting my Deuce into one of these?.
If you want dummy M60's, take a look at the AirsoftGI website, they have a really nice M60 (its a BB gun) for $399 including shipping.
It has the later style E3 grip, which isn't going to be a problem for most as I doubt that many folks would even notice, but if it does bother you, a real period trigger group slots right on there.

Cheers

barrygar8

bones1, you can get on the gun truck site or talk to driver523 or get the book THE HARD RIDE
for grate pitcures of the trucks and the men that lived and died on them i bilt my truck with what i could
find at gun and military shows thats why i named it the road rage and not a name from the real trucks.
barrygar8

SMOKEWAGON66

Ok fella's... Opinion time!

If i were to aquire and install a M6 37mm AT Cannon on the back of my truck near the rear with a shield instead of 2 M2 BMG's , and 2 M2 BMG's at each front corner of the bed, would that be cool? Ive looked around and have never seen a deuce with an M6 on it, but they did mount them on jeeps and half tracks.

Question is, would this be out of line for what im doing or would it be acceptable?

something like this....

Attachments

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So having decided a few months ago to turn my M109A3 into a guntruck, i have made a little progress. After trading the box for a bed and installing the bed, i had to rebuild my transmission. While she was in the Garage getting mended, i started painting it black. I didnt do much for paint removal other then a good scuffing, and removing/sanding rusty spots. Im almost finished with a good base coat of flat black and once thats done, ill put a second coat with some semi gloss black and a yellow stripe on the hood. Looking through "The Hard Ride" ive gotten alot of ideas and dimensions/schemes to adopt into my build. Also ill be adding in some of my own experience with GunTrucks and adding my own flare here and there to make it my own. This will be a carshow/parade/special event truck only and will be plated with historic plates. Anyhow id welcome feedback, opinions, advice or anything else anybody would like to post here. Here is a pic of how it looked when i got it, and how it looks now.

what do you guys think?

Love what you are doing. Looks like a great start. I only wish I had the room you have to work on my trucks. Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks