• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1078 RearTire keeps going flat?

JD4044M

Just went out and since the axle is on a jack stand you can't see it flat. Checked the pressure 5 lbs in it and flat again. Filled it back up and sprayed soapy water on parts. First part I did was the fill hose that keeps the tires full of air. The fitting going into the rim is leaking. Looks like where it is screwed into the rim the air is leaking out. Should this connection be wrapped with Teflon or a sealing compound? The tire guy put this on so I am not sure how tight it is??

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should this connection be wrapped with Teflon or a sealing compound?
From factory it takes a rubber gasket/seal/grommet, just put on dry and no extra sealant.
1605827941192.png

Knowingly this is a problem area, especially after the wheel got rusty, there.
Since the nut is on the inside you will have to demount- and disassemble the wheel in order to fix the issue.

For years I have regularly eliminated that seal on all of my FMTV- and other similar wheel valves and only use Sikaflex 221 , instead. No claims, so far...
20190617_184308.jpg

Edit: Just read your second post... but didn't you say it leaks where it screws into the rim...?

JD4044M

Bummer that is a real hard project for me right now. I have a hard time just walking to my truck right now can't breath right!! So it is a compression of the rubber to the rim edge. I was surprised seeing in the old tires very clean and the tire guy told me no rust at all, easy to change them? Could this seal have slipped up on the tube?? The close up looks funny?

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... Could this seal have slipped up on the tube?? The close up looks funny?
No way that rubber seal can come out. But it can dry rot, or the sealing surface got too rough.

I just posted that (funny looking) close up picture because one can see that little bit of excess sealant there, that had squeezed out after the joint was tightened.

JD4044M

I
From factory it takes a rubber gasket/seal/grommet, just put on dry and no extra sealant.
View attachment 818673

Knowingly this is a problem area, especially after the wheel got rusty, there.
Since the nut is on the inside you will have to demount- and disassemble the wheel in order to fix the issue.

For years I have regularly eliminated that seal on all of my FMTV- and other similar wheel valves and only use Sikaflex 221 , instead. No claims, so far...
View attachment 818676

Edit: Just read your second post... but didn't you say it leaks where it screws into the rim...?
I just thought that part screwed in? I guess it is a compression fit. I did not see the tires going together.

JD4044M

Aired it up to 58 lbs and it held over night. Changed my batteries out to 4 new ones and got rid of the bad one in the group. Save those for 12 volt vehicles that may need one or just sell the 3 Red Top and recoup some money. Going for a drive today in the fresh snow when the dun comes out!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks