• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My mud truck build bad 395/85/20 tires?

Watsonpreston

Just installed new 395/85r20 with new 13.00 r20 tubes. I used the stock rims. I had a shop that does semi trucks and equipment they had no trouble at all doing them.
I left the tire shop and only made it 19 miles on the highway and it started pulling hard left before I could stop and check it the front passenger tire blow out yanking me all over the road at 60 mph

can you guys come up with arrason why this happened?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me guess a Michelin? If the tire sits flat for any length of time, this is what happens. It is hard to tell, but there is internal sidewall damage. Cracks are the tell tale.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No way to tell without being there. I don't care who does the tire install, since your putting those tires on a rim that is too small, they probably pinched the tube during installation. I used to run 395s on stock rims until I heard about everyone getting sand in the tires and it putting holes in the tubes. I now run modified Hemtt rims.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 395's came out with the FMTVs in 1994. Weather checking will not cause a blowout, but cracks in a crescent where a tire has been sitting flat will.

Watsonpreston

Me playing around at a new off-road park in Oklahoma.
replacing leaking water pump And rebuilding the stopped up radd

Attachments

Watsonpreston

Thanks for the info keep it coming yeah I was thinking the tube got a bad leak for some reason causing the sudden blow out.
I dint think I would ever spend the money for new rims but this might change my mind!
just glad I did not kill any one !

Watsonpreston

They are all old pics besides the tires. Been wanting to start a build thread so I figured I wounde post pics of ever thing I have got done so far. By thue way I always change gear oil in the axles and grease in the hubs ever time I sink it like in the pic before heading home! My new boots have not been installed waiting for my locking hubs and new shafts so I can install my spools

Attachments

Watsonpreston

Pics of the tire that fell apart one side looks perfect the other destroyed. All my tires where made between 2002/2007. How much air are you guys running in the tubes is 40 enough to keep the tube from moving in the tire?

My trucks also has a moded thermostat

Attachments

Watsonpreston

My truck has always ran on the hot side. I replaced the leaking water pump and roded out the radiator and resealed. The work I did made a huge difference. 180/190 at idle and on the highway 200/210 if that's all I used my truck for that would be ok with me but I mud and rockcrawler on the heavy side. When the radiator would plug up with mud at idle would set at 200/210. Drop it off in the mud bog pinned to the floor rpm near max almost instantly 240 or greater!!!

the mods includ shortning of the spring to have it open sooner and make sure it opens all the way was the biggest reason. The second mod was thick rubber O-rings to keep it always open some as a fail safe if it sticks and to keep idle temp down.

with the above mods at idle 130/140 on the highway 160/170. When it's full of mud it will idle at 140 /150 the max I have seen was just shy of 200 with full of mud flat towing a f350 up hill in 100 deg wealther floored the hole time.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Huh, these trucks usually run cold. Mine will barley move the temp needle while idling and I might hit 210 towing a 5ton truck. Usually it stays around 160.

Watsonpreston

That's what I read I bet I could of ordered a new one and had the same result. I had 2 days till the next big mud bog not enough time too ordered one so I removed the spring and ran it for 3 hard days like that never got over 130/140 on days that where 100+ deg. That was alittle on the cold side for me but the truck showed no ill affects at all so I installed the modded spring just to bump up the temp alittle from no spring.

Special T

Well we can only guess as to the real problem but here is some basics as to how a tire works and why. Tire failure normally has to do with developing heat. Heat exposes weak points in the tires and then they fail. Load, Speed & Distance are the triangle of load carrying capacity of tires Doing things like decreasing the air pressure, running at speed, or putting the tire on a wheel its not designed for will all develop heat. I would bet that Many tires could be run on the 7.5" wide wheels with the 13-1400R20 tube with a 1000R20 flap while just wheeling and running down dirt roads or slow around town. As i remember those tires are rated at 9K ish ea on a 10" wheel at 95lbs ish. You can always use a tire /wheel incorrectly under CERTAIN conditions and it will work out fine, but i think high speeds with that setup is asking for trouble.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks