• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New HMMWV

01GRANDER

Hey All,

I just got back from picking up my Hmmwv, being on a highway for 6 hours is not the ideal use of it. Haha.

Here are some pics:

D5DBC131-B841-4716-AD3E-B401F4C9D53E.jpeg
582403B4-271E-48E5-8BEC-BC67A6B75EDF.jpeg
2399BD3B-CEE3-4D1E-AE11-CB3367D7A245.jpeg
614F42B9-9180-49FD-9650-666C4B5F80BC.jpeg
38CB0FEA-95A3-4C56-8EBE-1F8D896EB4F2.jpeg
6B0FEA03-9864-4C4D-AEEB-396F84C9589F.jpeg

The top is in rough shape, anything I can do to patch it until I get a new top?

Also,is there any rust converter that works better than others? Not too rusty, I’d just like to clean it up some.

I don’t see any retrofit tags but it does have the 6.5. It wasn’t the smoothest ride but I did maintain 65-70 except when the fan kicked on.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Naval jelly works pretty good on rust, so does OSPHO (phosphoric acid). I use the OSPHO in a spray bottle (wear gloves) and go over it a few times. Either way, you have to wire brush or scrape off the existing rust for it to work properly.

As for the top, not sure. That's pretty rough looking.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coug's suggestions are for rust removal, and his suggestions are excellent choices.

As far as "rust conversion", I did a Google search because I need do the same thing...

This is what I found:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey All,

I just got back from picking up my Hmmwv, being on a highway for 6 hours is not the ideal use of it. Haha.

Here are some pics:

View attachment 801311
View attachment 801312
View attachment 801313
View attachment 801314
View attachment 801315
View attachment 801316

Also,is there any rust converter that works better than others? Not too rusty, I’d just like to clean it up some.

I don’t see any retrofit tags but it does have the 6.5. It wasn’t the smoothest ride but I did maintain 65-70 except when the fan kicked on.
Already exceeding the acceptable speeds for this trucks design with that motor and trans.
but I know everyone will chime in that they do 80 all the time....let her rip.

01GRANDER

Well this afternoon has been really crappy, I’ve spent 4 hours at the revenue office and they say it comes up as a trailer even though they have the Georgia title in their hands. They are going to call me tomorrow and give me a “determination” if they can title it. This all despite the fact I called and asked if there would be any issues transferring a MV from Georgia with a 6 digit vin.

I hope this goes my may, my week has been garbage and this was supposed to be a good thing.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey All,

Here are some pics:

View attachment 801311
View attachment 801312
View attachment 801313
View attachment 801314
View attachment 801315
View attachment 801316

6.5 and 3spd?

01GRANDER

6.5 and 3spd?
Yeah. I just hope I don’t get screwed over at the dmv. I absolutely hate government bureaucracy. I have a GA title in my hand that shows the body style as a truck, diesel and 8 cylinders. That’s not a trailer.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah. I just hope I don’t get screwed over at the dmv. I absolutely hate government bureaucracy. I have a GA title in my hand that shows the body style as a truck, diesel and 8 cylinders. That’s not a trailer.
[/QUOTE

Turn that kind of rpm regularly and the 6.5 will self destruct in short order.

DMVs are anything but helpful.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In New York we have something called a police review where you can get a police officer to sign off on a vehicle with an abnormal vehicle identification number. I wonder if they have something similar in your state.

I am curious as to how you were doing 65 miles an hour with a three Speed. Please take a picture of your shifter.

Best,

T

01GRANDER

In New York we have something called a police review where you can get a police officer to sign off on a vehicle with an abnormal vehicle identification number. I wonder if they have something similar in your state.

I am curious as to how you were doing 65 miles an hour with a three Speed. Please take a picture of your shifter.

Best,

T
Here is the shifter but it doesn’t have a park. This is the tag that I saw on the side.
94299F92-0345-4DC1-8923-E0A2AC483CCD.jpeg
91C652CE-87F9-4D7B-97F9-0CB2A76EE487.jpeg

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice project. I got my new 4 man replacement top right from Breton industries at as really good price. As some of the very knowledgeable people above stated 65mph is pushing the three speed HMMWV and 70mph is lighting an unknown length of fuse. I live mostly at right around 60mph on the highway. Nice half doors but you need something to keep the rain out. My buddy's Pinzgauer runs happy at 50MPH and that takes forever to get anywhere. Good luck with the new wheels.

Mark

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that engine and transmission, I’ve only heard of one other person able to maintain 60 to 65 mph, and that is JuanPrado. I would be very interested to know what gears you have in your differentials. There is something different about your vehicle if you are able to maintain that speed for that amount of time without blowing up your engine.

Good luck with your project.

T

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I'am the little dot getting smaller in your rear view mirror. 😆

I cruise right at 50 MPH. 6.2L - 3 speed. For a short "HIGH SPEED RUN" (down hill of course) maybe 61.5 MPH which translates to Mach 2.3 in a Hmmwv.

No hurry here I guess. Getting there is more important than whipping out the AAA card and $$$ and wasting a day. ( old fart talking)

I 'am right behind you, picking up the pieces .🚛 CAMO

01GRANDER

With that engine and transmission, I’ve only heard of one other person able to maintain 60 to 65 mph, and that is JuanPrado. I would be very interested to know what gears you have in your differentials. There is something different about your vehicle if you are able to maintain that speed for that amount of time without blowing up your engine.

Good luck with your project.

T
The odd thing is, it shifted at one point at almost 60. Not sure if someone changed the gearing or shift points.

Does that tag definitely mean it’s the 3 speed?

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should Never be shifting at 60mph. Hate to see the RPMs in 2nd at that speed. Mine shifts fast from 2nd to 3rd at a very low speed.

Mark

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still talking about hmmwv’s? 😂

I know materials seem ok right until they fail but the engine didn’t seem overly stressed.
it's not the stress, it's the heat buildup. The GM blocks are notorious for having block failures at the back cylinders because there isn't enough cooling back there, and the metallurgy isn't good enough to deal with the heat buildup.
Just because it CAN do 65 mph doesn't mean it's a good idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks