• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M923 A1

Rkrug

Finally got my first MV! 1986 M923 A1
Had Glen at BFR pick it up for me, and I'm going to get it from him this Saturday.
I found the sticky note spread sheet and found the NAPA number FIL 1970MP for the oil filter,and I also saw that there was a bypass filter listed as well, Is that the right part number for my truck? and do I need a by pass filter as well?
Just wanted to make sure so I can take a new filter with me when I go to pick it up.
Other than just changing the oil any other fluids I should change before I drive it back home?
I'll get some pictures posted this weekend after I get it picked up.
Thanks
RK

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M923 or m923a1 nhc 250 original oil filter

That 1970 is a spin on oil filter for a lot of commercial hd Cummings but only if you have the filter spin on conversion base on our m939 series nhc250. 1970mp is the part number for a "master pack" case of 6 or 12 filters not in retail boxes but typically shrunk wrapped in a cardboard box.

The stock canister cartridge filter is a NAPA 1954. No bypass filter in this set up either way on the nhc250.

Fuel filter is the one I would recommend as the oil is probably ok but you don't know how long the truck sat and the fuel &/or tank could be funky. Napa 3401

Have a safe trip and smooth recovery. :driver:

Last edited:

Rkrug

Geting every thing ready for this Saturday, got the oil filter at NAPA and the fuel filter will be here tomorrow. Going to go get oil tomorrow also , will 15w-40 oil work?
:driver:
Thanks
RK

Attachments

Rkrug

D day

Finally pried my self a way from the truck but it was to dark to take any good photos so I will post some more tomorrow,here are just some that I took on the way here and on arrival.
Got to glens yard about 8:30 and got to the truck and was it nice, got a big shock when I lifted the hood and found a new engine, hoses and wiring!! Every thing was like new and still had government tags hanging from some of the parts.When I got in the cab it was also in pristine condition new seats and paint, every thing looked great! Once we got some bed to frame bolts from the hardware store down the street (it was missing all but 2 bolts) we slaved it from one of Glens other trucks and it fired right up and fell right in to a smooth idle. Truck speed right up and got on the interstate just fine and we had an uneventful trip home.Decided to jut drive the truck home and change the oil filter and fuel filter tomorrow.
Only thing I need to do now is get a pair of good big tractor batteries (batteries it came with looked like new but would not hold a charge so it has 2 car batteries in it now)and repaint the camo bed to a matching desert tan.
will get some more pics and engine pics posted some time tomorrow.
RK

Attachments

Rkrug

Got the oil changed and it is running quieter than ever.Had a friend of mine build me a hitch for it and it looks real nice, going to put it to work this weekend and pull my dads 30' Hunter sailboat out of the lake, here are some pics of the truck hooked up to the tailer with the extra long trailer tung extension attached. Also going to try and repaint my hard top and put it on this week so I need to get some paint and was wondering if any one knew off the top of their head what paint name or number I need (wanted to paint it the same shade of tan the truck is) and what type of paint I should ask for.
Thanks

Attachments

BigWill1985

Personally, I would be worried running such a long tongue for the trailer if using it on the road. That's a really long lever, and can easily start to resonate and bounce. If it starts bouncing and flexing it could very likely break welds and bury the tongue of the trailer (with the gorgeous boat) into the road. Not a fun situation (been there, done that due to trusting a buddy to hook on my trailer). Other than that, looks good!

~Will Courtier~

Dukeman

Nice truck, congratulations! Yeah, that stinger is only for getting the trailer deep enough to get the sailboat on it right? you don't pull it on the road like that?

Rkrug

Yep the extension is only used for getting it deep enough down the ramp to get the boat on the trailer then it comes off for towing down the road, so I'm just going to back the traler down the ramp untile it is almost touching the water and then chock the wheels lower the jack and set the trailer down on the third front axel and then hook up the trailer to the extension and then hook it to the truck and hope for no wind to make guiding the boat on easier!
I will take some pics and post them.

91W350

Nice to see you enjoying that truck, glad we could help you a little in the recovery. Keep sharing those photos, even though I work on them daily, I still enjoy seeing photos of the trucks being used. Glen

Rkrug

Nice to see you enjoying that truck, glad we could help you a little in the recovery. Keep sharing those photos, even though I work on them daily, I still enjoy seeing photos of the trucks being used. Glen
Still planing on coming out to your yard on saturday to find the right hard top.
Worked on the truck all day today since i had the day off of school, tried using the ether start but it seemed to have no effect, so i traced the hoses and found that the hoses going in to the orange thing in the picture were reversed so I hooked it up the right way, hope fully that will fix the problem.Also fixed the low air light that was only working part of the time( buzzer would sound but no light).Going to get some paint ordered tonight for the bed and for some touchup work.
here are some pics of the truck pulling out the sail boat did not even need the extension just backed the truck into the water. It pulled it right out with no effort.
Another pic in convertible mode.

Attachments

Rkrug

Found that the problem with the ether was that the atomizer nozzle was completely clogged and the filter screen was full of bits of rubber. Only thing I need now to use it is a new bottle since the valve on mine is leaking pretty bad for some reason.

Rkrug

IMG_0714.jpgIMG_0715.jpgIMG_0720.jpgGot the PTO mounted! Took me all day but its on there now. Just need to get the controls and the rest of the hydraulic system hooked up.
Big thanks to Glen at BFR for helping me get the parts.

Rkrug

Was going to take the truck for a spin but when I shifted it into gear I could feel that one of the brakes was locked, So I shut the truck down and hooked the truck up to shop air and then hit the emergency spring brake override then walked around the truck and found that the drivers side rear spring chamber was leaking air through the vent holes so I tapped on it with a mallet to see if I could get it unstuck but nothing happened. So now i have 2 questions is the diaphragm bad? And can I cage this brake by itself and still drive the truck until I can get it repaired/replaced?
Thanks for any help

Most likely the diaphragm is bad. You can rebuild it but i would seriously advise you not to. That spring can kill. I had the same problem but i found a guy parting out a truck locally and got one off of him. I then just bolted it on and it works great. The guy is willing to ship and buying a caniter from him is cheaper and easier than getting it rebuilt at a big rig shop. His ss name is "droprat". Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks