• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new project (M1009)

_Aragorn_7

Greetings from West Virginia,

I recently purchased (9/19/2021) a 1986 M1009 and plan to restore it. It is currently not running and a previous owner decided to start cutting and disconnecting wires for some reason, but the rust is not horrid and I got it pretty cheap. I know it has sat a long time, since there are trees that grew between the turn signals and the grill.

So far i am just trying to figure out what is all missing. I have noticed a few obvious things, like the starter, radiator, fan, hard transmission cooler lines, antenna mounts, Pinnell hitch, fuel filter/housing, and i am sure there is a bunch more. If anyone wants to show off their engine bay so i can get a visual representation of what mine should look like, I would appreciate it.

My search for a radiator that is in stock has been a struggle. The best i could find is this one from Summit and it will still take about a month to get here.

Also if anyone has any tips on what needs to be replaced due to age would be helpful.

Attachments

cucvrus

Check out this thread. Lots of X rated CUCV action. Down to the bare frame and beyond. I hope it helps. Also I have lots of the missing parts you need. A few you will have to source new and they are available. No Antenna mounts here. Good Luck.

_Aragorn_7

Also I have a lot of concerns for that engine setting outside in the rain with no hood. That air cleaner housing is NOT waterproof and them studs are not water tight. I would be getting a 24MM socket on that front crank bolt and making sure that motor is not locked up. It may be too late. Good Luck.
I was concerned about that too, so I cranked it both directions before I bought it and was able to crank it until it hit the compression strokes. It was easy to get to the crank with no radiator in it.:p

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was concerned about that too, so I cranked it both directions before I bought it and was able to crank it until it hit the compression strokes. It was easy to get to the crank with no radiator in it.:p
Like cucvrus suggested, a light oil - something like Marvel Mystery Oil is a good thing to use to possibly free up the rings. A short shot of WD40 will work for that purpose as well.

Will it smoke later when you try to crank it? Yes, but so what. It is going to smoke a little anyhow.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll pull the glow plugs tomorrow (it rained all day today) and see if anything comes out. Thoughts on reusing the glow plugs vs replacing if they test good?
If they test good, there should be no reason for replacing them. Clean them up and gently lay them in a cardboard box with padding between each one as you lay them out. Load them up and let everything sit for a day or two, then do it again. Then hopefully you can gently turn the motor over with your socket and wrench until you get tired. If it turns smoothly, squirt it again and walk away until tomorrow.

I'm definitely not an expert, but I had a gasser that wouldn't build decent compression. I kept doing that for more than a week and finally it seemed like everything broke loose all at once. Got enough compression to finally fire it off. May not work for you - but it is a cheap possible fix.

----

Down the country a few states, we must have had the same rainstorm here. All night last night. Slow steady rain. A break this morning coming in to work, then about nine this morning the sprinkles came back. Really warm and muggy all day. Couple of sunny spots and no rain, and then about 5 this afternoon a gullywasher worked us over for about two hours...

The really GOOD part of that is that 10:00 at night, no rain, clear sky, and it is 64°

Last edited:

_Aragorn_7

Pulled the glow plugs today. 7 out of 8 are newer AC Delco plugs, number 3 was older (maybe original?) and was swelled at the end. I was able to break it off and fish it out of the injector hole with a magnet.

All of the cylinders were dry but there was some resistance going CW on the 6th revolution. Not sure why only CW and not CCW. But after many turns it spins easily and was able to get it to pump oil out of the cooler lines. I also inspected the flywheel teeth and there is some wear but no broken teeth. Also a mouse nest fell on me from around the flywheel, so maybe that was what was causing the resistance.

Tomorrow the starter should be in. So the next thing for me to do is wiring.

----

It was a good rain here and it really cooled it off. It is supposed to get to 48F tonight. The highest I saw today was 55F.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Pulled the glow plugs today. 7 out of 8 are newer AC Delco plugs, number 3 was older (maybe original?) and was swelled at the end. I was able to break it off and fish it out of the injector hole with a magnet.

All of the cylinders were dry but there was some resistance going CW on the 6th revolution. Not sure why only CW and not CCW. But after many turns it spins easily and was able to get it to pump oil out of the cooler lines. I also inspected the flywheel teeth and there is some wear but no broken teeth. Also a mouse nest fell on me from around the flywheel, so maybe that was what was causing the resistance.

----

It was a good rain here and it really cooled it off. It is supposed to get to 48F tonight. The highest I saw today was 55F.
Good deal! Squirt a little more MM or WD40 into those cylinders. It can't hurt a thing. If there is any sort of rust, maybe it will help soften it up. Weather here was cool in the morning, about 80 mid day and it is about 63 at 9:30 in the evening. MUCH better to work on projects!!

Happy to hear that you were able to work that one swollen GP out of the head!

INFChief

----

Not surprised that the glow plugs were mushroomed. People simply will not wait for the glow plugs to warm up and the light to go out before attempting to start. Hopefully the glow plug controller is unharmed.

I’m envious and have started looking at GP’s HMMWV’s. It won’t be a cheap hobby!
Keep us posted!

_Aragorn_7

Made some progress on the truck this weekend. Spent a lot of time figuring and undoing wiring the previous owners did. I also started on the driver's side rocker (body work is not very fun). I hope to get that side done tomorrow.

For the wiring, i need to figure out what the green wires by the injection pump are. I also need to figure out what is all missing from under the dash. I know that that glow plug controller is gone.

Hopefully I can get everything ready for painting before it gets too cold.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Made some progress on the truck this weekend. Spent a lot of time figuring and undoing wiring the previous owners did. I also started on the driver's side rocker (body work is not very fun). I hope to get that side done tomorrow.

For the wiring, i need to figure out what the green wires by the injection pump are. I also need to figure out what is all missing from under the dash. I know that that glow plug controller is gone.

Hopefully I can get everything ready for painting before it gets too cold.
That door pan looks really good! Sheetmetal work is difficult for sure... Body work with sanding and priming and sanding and priming and sanding and priming is slow going. Or at least it is for me. I do a little, wipe with Acetone, spray a little "rattlecan" primer and then do some more. That way nothing flash rusts...

_Aragorn_7

It has been a week since I could work on my truck due to me cutting a tendon in my finger. Had surgery on it Thursday and the doc just cleared me to do what I want as long I keep it in the cast and don't try to bend it.

So i have been working more on the wiring. I think it is pretty close to being able to crank but just noticed that I am missing the high idle solenoid. I can't seem to find a new one anywhere. I know it is not necessary, but would be nice to have in the winters.

MAZ537

It has been a week since I could work on my truck due to me cutting a tendon in my finger. Had surgery on it Thursday and the doc just cleared me to do what I want as long I keep it in the cast and don't try to bend it.

So i have been working more on the wiring. I think it is pretty close to being able to crank but just noticed that I am missing the high idle solenoid. I can't seem to find a new one anywhere. I know it is not necessary, but would be nice to have in the winters.
Sorry to hear about your finger...I hope to have a good fast recovery.
As for the high idle solenoid I have found it :

985 CHEVROLET K30 PICKUP 6.2L 379cid V8 DIESEL MFI (J) : Fuel/Air : Idle Speed Control Actuator
ACDELCO Part # 14066255
ACTUATOR,IDLE SPD CONT

Good luck

_Aragorn_7

I've got a little bit more work done on the M1009.

I decided to see how well i could still tig weld and fixed the holes i the tailgate.
20211008_192234.jpg20211008_192241.jpg
20211008_192222.jpg I think it went ok, but did not go as smoothly as normal. So I decided to hold off on the body work until my finger healed more and moved onto the wiring. I believe i have it almost ready to try and crank, but I am hung up on the wiring surrounding the glow plug relay.

IMG_20211017_162315529.jpg

I have been using one of cucvrus' photos of his as a reference, as well as the wiring diagram. What I am confused about are the 2 "small" orange wires and 2 "small" red wires. What are these wires for? Also, Cucvrus' has another small blue wire that I don't have. Why is that?

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks