• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Turbocharging 6.2 diesel of m1008.

als804

this thread for helping guys looking for turbo 6.2 diesel. Getting 'turbo' is definitely making much more torque. it helps towing car, steep ramp way, etc
i got my m1008 from United States Forces Korea, USFK. there is no other way to buy square body truck except USFK's surplus
my truck usually drives on highway. i had always trying to keep speed 60 mph but speed 60mph drooped to about 45 mph on steep way. after turboing i can keep speeds at more than 60 mph.
my turbo project goal is the best cheap and more power. it's difficult to post whole post on here.
so let me post daily.

i will upload more videos. with fake hx35w & 3 inch direct exhaust with resonator. with poor cam mike

Last edited:

als804

Intake
many people use humvee 6.5 turbo intake manifold, but i thought it's expensive. so i decided to make turbo intake tightly fitting to stock NA manifold.
you can use this attached drawing without modification. my Design absolutely consider no effectiveness but only easiness and simplicity.
first laser cut with 6mm , 3mm Thickness mild steel then welded and grinned.
Here total costs about $10
it has been no leaking so far

IMG_5801.jpgIMG_5802.jpgIMG_5918.jpg

in below picture these is not any groove at 3inch od pipe. you have to make groove if not, intake hose would pop out again and again.
i made groove with The Method of seriously Poor welding outer surface of the Pipe.
IMG_5924.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

als804

Turbo Exhuast Manifold at passenger side

i had been considering to make all custom turbo manifold. it would be so painful to make it so i decided to buy used Humvee 6.5 Turbo manifold at EBAY.
with 6.5 turbo manifold,

Spacer : you have to use Spacer between 6.5 turbo manifold and 6.2 diesel engine exhaust outlet due to Clearance issues of Stock Injectors.
in my opinion, i used 6mm thickness( about 1/4 inch ) spacer made by laser cut of mild steel. you could use drawing but you have to cut cylinder hole to cylinder hole like the below pictures (IMG5929) due to with my bad measure. bolt hole to bolt hole is no-problem.
i use exhaust M10 X 1.5 bolts with lengths of 50, 70, 90 mm than stock bolts.

exhaust spacer.PNGIMG_5929.jpgIMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg

Flange : 6.2 diesel flange ( 6.2 manifold - stock exhaust down pipe) can't fit to 6.5 diesel flange. so i have to make 6.5 turbo diesel manifold flange for crossover pipe. you can use flange drawing file in the attachment

humvee 6.5 manifold flange.PNG
IMG_5935.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg

Attachments

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info , I hope when I get ready I can find this thread! as well as one a few weeks ago on rocker arms

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the spacer idea. My friend's truck came with a turbo, but the older style long body injectors and return hoses are touching the exhaust manifold. I will be talking to him about making spacers before we drop it off at the exhaust shop to get an exhaust made.

Will that gasket maker hold up well? It's not rated for very high temperatures. I see Permatex does make an exhaust sealer.

als804

Thank you for the spacer idea. My friend's truck came with a turbo, but the older style long body injectors and return hoses are touching the exhaust manifold. I will be talking to him about making spacers before we drop it off at the exhaust shop to get an exhaust made.

Will that gasket maker hold up well? It's not rated for very high temperatures. I see Permatex does make an exhaust sealer.
haha red gasket is just for holding manifold spacer. Without gasket silicon you would get headache from fastening mainfold! Actually just flat surface of mild steel is enough!

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made my own intake plenums. Had the bases laser cut. Made one for my K1500 and my friend. I started on the one for my CUCV, but decided to wait until I figured out what turbo I want (HX35, HX40, Quadstar's Super54 or 60, PT Wiring Solution's HX40II...) and actually have it so I can make it fit better.

IMG_20210617_160940.jpg IMG_20210617_160935.jpg 39d61c3c-7563-4376-bbf9-dbe70784aba8.jpg IMG-20201122-WA0011.jpeg IMG-20201115-WA0012.jpeg 5eee72ca-b82d-4b9c-873e-a9c9b642d3d5.jpg

I brought home one of the exhaust gasket sets I had laying around. Will scan it and draw it in Illustrator to have a spacer cut.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

That looks good, I decided the $160 was worth buying over spending my time making one so ended up with a quadstar intake. I’m running an hx35w and it’s been great.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks good, I decided the $160 was worth buying over spending my time making one so ended up with a quadstar intake. I’m running an hx35w and it’s been great.
If you are in the USA, then yeah, it's worth the money. Shipping to Europe is expensive though. I'd bet shipping to OP's location (South Korea) is even more expensive.

Plus, fabricating your own parts if you're able too, gives you a sense of accomplishment.

Built-Not-Bought-Bike-Sticker.png

Ilikemtb999

If you are in the USA, then yeah, it's worth the money. Shipping to Europe is expensive though. I'd bet shipping to OP's location (South Korea) is even more expensive.

Plus, fabricating your own parts if you're able too, gives you a sense of accomplishment.

View attachment 841557
I posted up those two designs because they’re simpler than yours, unsure why you made a box before attaching the tube to the turbo on, that’s all.

als804

Crossover Pipe - the most painful job

actually this post may not be helpful. i just made this with a lots of cutting, welding, mocking.
i used 2.5 inch Stainless 304 PIPE.

A. flanges previously uploaded at Manifold part were used. it is connected to 6.5 diesel turbo manifold at passenger

B. stock 6.2 diesel down pipe and flange were connected to 2.5 inch crossover pipe. this part may be restriction bcz stock down pipe bottleneck is 2.25 inch. but i can't feel any problem so far.

C. i smashed to get away from clearance issue of bell-housing of th400.

seeing this pictures, you can see future turbine outlet exhaust pipe can't go down through where passenger stock downpipe used to go down.

IMG_0016.jpgIMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0021.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg
IMG_0043.jpg

Last edited:

als804

Oil Feed and Oil Outlet

bearings in a turbo charger needs Oil. i used hx35w copy turbocharger.
there are many parts for oil feed. but i used the Pressure switch port behind intake. 1/4 NPT hardwares were used.
i also installed 1.5mm oil restrictor because i thinks this oil pressure is a little higher than appropriate pressure ( at more than 9 psi boost, oil is splitting out from turbocharger ! )
and outlet of turbo feed oil goes to where mechanical lift pump used to be at. 6.5 diesel electric pump is the only way to go.

IMG_5920.jpg
IMG_5930.jpg

Keith_J

The CDR ports are no longer used, you can convert to a dual intake for charge air from the compressor after splitting into two..then you only need a cover for the intake. With a sealed spacer, you can keep the stock air filter, much like the ATS turbo manifold.

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
quantitatively expressed multi-variant - what he said - Im gonna have to get a turbo book - Im confused LOL
Im wanting to either turbo my 6.2 or I just found a 6.5 with turbo that has 29k miles out of an RV... I appreciate all info you guys are giving,

Ilikemtb999

quantitatively expressed multi-variant - what he said - Im gonna have to get a turbo book - Im confused LOL
Im wanting to either turbo my 6.2 or I just found a 6.5 with turbo that has 29k miles out of an RV... I appreciate all info you guys are giving,
Don’t quote me on this but I’m pretty sure the drivers manifold doesn’t quite clear the square body frame. I used my 6.2 drivers.

als804

Turbo Charger
for allowing forced air to make engine cool down. turning up more fuel without Turbocharger can make power increased but Engine could become overheated and melted. in diesel More air means More Cooling

most of 6.2 diesel uses hx35w or GM-X series.
i selected the Chinese copy of hx35w. it costs about $130.
it spools so quick and enough in my opinion this is my first turbo charging project.
waste gate is opened at 8 psi. but high maximum could boost till 12 psi.
i always am watching boost gauge & EGT Gauge
( many people says it's essential to install 6.5 head gasket. i have not yet done it. but i will do at future. has still no problem for thousands mileages )
and blow-by valves output goes to turbo compressor input.

60mph highway cruise : 3~6 psi, EGT 200~300 celcius Degree
acceleration : 3~9 psi
high load : 9~ 12 psi on steep highway, EGT 350~450 Celcius Degree

IMG_7865.jpg
IMG_7867.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks