• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My used to be M818 With Deuce C bed on it

bigelk50

My used to be M818 With Deuce C bed on it UPDATED PICS

I have been in the process of putting a Deuce C bed on my M818. It is on and I have a few bolts in it, but I still need to move the rear bed mounts on the frame forward. Also I still have to mount the mud flaps. Then she is ready to be painted.

I did not want to cut the bed down, so I extended my frame 27.5 inches. I actually wanted the bumperetts to stick out more than the factory ones did from the bed. I also wanted to keep the distance between the cab and the bed rail to a minimum. I used our deuce for reference. I used the back frame section from a M813 that was being scrapped. I extended my air lines and lights to look original. Here are some pics

I installed dual Bostrom air ride seat bases. The seats are out of a Saturn sedan and the seat covers are from the internet. I also installed a 12v dome light and accessory outlet. I will post pics of the dome light next.

Attachments

Last edited:

bigelk50

Thanks! I also just remembered that I had to re route the fuel lines for the passenger fule tank too. I will try to get a pic of what I did.

bigelk50

The light on the drivers side is the 12v one with the 12v outlet under it. The other one is just a batt. operated blue led light.

The third pic is just to show off the paint job of the dash. The original fuel lines were copper and were in the way. So I went to fuel hose and re routed them so that they were out of the way and wrapped them in hose loom to make them last even longer.

Attachments

bigelk50

rat4spd Thanks!! I really like how it turned out. In a way I want people to look at it and do a double take when they see the deuce bed on it.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I normally frown on modifying MV's...but in this case....I gotta say...Outstanding job Brother!!
That is just a heck of a good looking truck.:-D:-D

Thank you for posting the pics

bigelk50

As for the spare I am not really sure what to do. I really do not want to modify the troop seats, bed rails or anything like that, so I will probably just mount in flat in the bed somewhere. I have a davit of of a newer 5 ton that they used for lifting the spare on and off. So not really a problem for the heavy lifting part. Any Ideas??

bigelk50

Papa bear

Thanks I took my time and did this right. I do not plan on towing much with the pintle so I did not cope the frames at a 45 or anything, I just butt welded with 100% penetration. Plus cover pass. Fish plated the inside and still used the original inner frame supports and bolted them to the actual truck frame. It should hold just fine. I try hard to do good quality work. Its nice to hear something like this.

Once the mud flaps are on I was thinking to move the tail lights to them, or a support somewhere out there. I cannot put them on the side of the frame like a cargo because they hit the glad hands. Was thinking of moving them only to install a under frame hitch.

Yohan

Great! Proportionally, I like that look a TON. Are you going to super single that big boy? PM inbound...

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Wow, your truck is looking great! Just got the two winches thrown on the '68 and '88 over the weekend. Got a stuck driveshaft part on another winch that needs to be tended to. Once I get that resolved, the '86 will have a winch as well.

bigelk50

Thanks Mike. I need to order my seal kit for my winch and then put new cable on it. Glad to hear that you got your winches put on. I take it that you have all of the parts that you need. Thane is waiting to get his winch. We have not been able to get a hold of the guy who has it. Oh well it will all come together.

wsucougarx

Well, I've got most of the winches complete. Thus far I have replaced the seals in all three winches. Got 2/3 mounted with their driveshafts. I've got the PTO's enroute. Should have 2/3 truck complete this weekend. I still need a couple little parts like the drum lock pin, 3/8 studs for PTO mounting (NAPA). For the most part, I've got the manual intensive part completed:wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks