• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help Identifying this Deuce and a Half

SargentBrown

Hello there! I need help identifying this Deuce and Half, it was my husband's fathers. He was a vet who sadly passed away last year - we don't know much about this vehicle. any information you could give us would be greatly appreciated!

We aren't sure if we should keep, donate, or sell it. But we'd really like to know more about it.

Thank you for your time!

IMG-20210915-WA0002.jpgIMG-20210915-WA0001.jpgIMG-20210915-WA0003.jpgIMG-20210915-WA0011.jpgIMG-20210915-WA0017.jpgIMG-20210915-WA0019.jpgIMG-20210915-WA0020.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a 1958 International Harvester 5 ton M54 cargo truck. It started life with a gasoline engine but was converted to diesel in the 1960’s. The Army kept this truck until the 1980’s, where it received silicone brake fluid. Soon thereafter it was surplused out and your husband’s father bought it, probably for quite a bit $4000? If you can transcribe any letters and numbers on the bumpers, we might be able to tell you where it served in the Army. Being as old as it is, it will need an extensive restoration to be useful again. Good luck, hope you find someone to care for it again.

HDN

Based on what I've seen listed in classifieds across Craigslist and Facebook, old 5-tons in this condition are being listed for $3000-$5000, depending on how driveable they are. If it doesn't run or needs better tires to move, someone would have to be able to tow a 20000 lb truck if selling it is desired.

That looks like a fun project for someone. It looks like there's enough there to restore it. If you decide to keep it, it would definitely turn heads going down the road and car shows. If you find yourself moving a lot of big or dirty stuff around, it would work for that too. If you have kids in school sports teams it's the perfect team ice cream-getting vehicle :) (My dad did that with my little league team with his halftrack when I was little!)

ToddJK

She's an old and used war horse. If you can take some clear close up pictures of the bumper on the sides where there are numbers painted on, someone might be able to read all of them and give a bit more info like previously stated by NDT.
If you're not going to restore it or keep it for sentimental reasons, I'd sell it, but please don't scrap it, someonebody will want it if y'all decide otherwise. $ will depend on if it runs, drives, ect, and on who the buyer may be.

Guyfang

Staff member
This truck was an active piece of Military equipment probably into the 90's. The MWO 9-5320-200-35-1 Tag seen in the picture came out on 10-07-1988 and was applied to this truck on 22-30-1989. I would bet it could have been reserve equipment at the last. But the bumper marking might help with that guess. There is also a NSN someplace on the dash data plates that would help to tell you exactly what truck it is.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello there! I need help identifying this Deuce and Half, it was my husband's fathers. He was a vet who sadly passed away last year - we don't know much about this vehicle. any information you could give us would be greatly appreciated!

We aren't sure if we should keep, donate, or sell it. But we'd really like to know more about it.

Thank you for your time!

View attachment 845226View attachment 845225View attachment 845227View attachment 845228View attachment 845229View attachment 845230View attachment 845231
Good evening.

My name is John and I happen to be the Chaplain for this website.

On behalf of all here, we send our condolence on your family's loss. Was your father-in-law a member here on the SteelSoldiers (SS) website?

I see your location is NEW YORK. We have a good number of members in NY state. If you could please be more specific, we might be able to connect you with one or more willing and able to assist more directly.

I will echo others in saying, you have a piece of history. You will find someone interested in preserving and possitlbe restoring this truck.

Welcome aboard!

John Bariou
SS Chaplain
San Angelo, Texas, USA

Last edited:

SargentBrown

Hello John thank you for reaching out, my husband and I both read your message and we really appreciate your kind words. Gerald, my husband's father was not a member on here, he passed well into his 80's and wasn't a big fan of computers/social media although I'm sure he would of found Steel Soldiers fascinating.

We live in upstate New York. Thanks to a lot of information that was given to us here we're going to put it on marketplace and see what kind of interest it generates.

Thank you again for your kind words and sentiments.

Regards

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know your area of the country, but you might also contact some veteran organizations/military museums. If you don't need the money, you would certainly get a tax write-off as long as they're a listed charity. I donated my stock tires to a local military museum that's located on a military base - much less hassle than selling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks