• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help to identify a trailer

combat32

It is obviously early WWII, still has the marble reflectors, I first thought it was a Ben Hur but it is smaller, data plate says G 516, never heard of one and can't find any info online.

Attachments

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the internet, the G-516 series of trailer is

G516 Trailer 1-ton, Miller Model CP-1.

Some pics would help....

Last edited by a moderator:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might try over at G503 site, those guys have WWII field drab in their bloodstream, might be able to help you out with the older stuff more than we can....

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What is printed on the data plate? It sure looks like a 1 ton, but like some on here are doing with the M101 and M105 trailers have changed the axle to make it lower to the ground. With the marble reflectors could be prewar , "1Ton Quartermaster trailer" which is what the G516 was based on .

combat32

Its dark now, will post up a pic of the data plate tomorrow.Everything underneath looks correct, if they swapped axles they sure did a bang up job as the e brake cable is hooked up and it sure seems to look original except the wheels.I can't seem to find any pics of one anywhere.

Also you can see the original U.S.Army and reg number painted in blue then overpainted later in white, I think that makes it pretty early.

Bumper numbers are AAATC 217 AAA C17 Wonder if Carnac could look those up:mrgreen:

Previous owner has had the trailer since 1946, he bought it from the man who bought it surplus off of Ft. Chaffee, said it was like new when he got it.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a WWII 1-ton for sure, just has the 6 hole Budd axle and 7.50-20's swapped out with the civi axle. That trailer looks like it would restore nicely, just a little cancer in the front.

combat32

Right you are NDT, it is a Ben Hur G 518.Got a better pic of the data plate delivery date of 2-? 43,the camera sees better than my eyes, anyone know what kind of axle that is under it? Looks like maybe an old Ford from the bearing caps and the wheels.There was an older wheel laying in the back, Ford too?

I wouldn't call it a POS exactly if you were looking for one, it's worth more in scrap value then what I gave for it, but it will be restored as it is going to a friend of mine to put behind his CCKW, couple more pics

No EUC on this one either, paid and took it home the same day[thumbzup] also this must have Satan's trailer as the serial # is 666

Attachments

Last edited: