• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with a 50k BTU heater

TRRickedOut

I bought a house recently and in the shop was this heater. I'm sure it hasn't been used in forever. It's plumbed to an (empty) elevated drum. I managed to find a TM for it. Anyone have any experience with this? What modern fuel would be recommended for it?

P/N - 441-3ABJ
FSN - 5420—930-4990

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
1. Tricked out, please write your state in the location block, IAW the forum rules.

2. I might have a TM for the heater. Will look.

3. Its a diesel fuel heater. Only use diesel fuel.

4. The secrete to this heater is clean fuel. Do not let the fuel get dirty. And a clean burner chamber.

5. There is a primitive fuel filter built into the regulator. Two screws hold it in. Check it every now and then.

6. Do NOT use a wad of paper, of other things burnable to light the stove. There is a knob to turn on the fuel to the burner chamber. The TM tells you how far to open it. We always opened it the whole way, and when the floor of the burner chamber was wet, (better said damp) turned it down a bit. We had a rod, bent over on one end, with a strip of jeans material pinched into it. Dip it in the diesel tank, and light it on fire. Stick it in the burner chamber, wait until the diesel starts to burn. Remove and shut the door. Try it out with low temperatures, to get the feel of how high to turn it up to. Its REAL easy to get this baby HOT, HOT, HOT. If the stove starts to "Moan", make strange noises, you need to turn it WAY down fast. I saw two building burn down because of the stove getting too hot. The rubber "O" rings in the regulator melt, and then the fuel will fill up the chamber. Its then time to exit, stage right. When it starts to moan, your chances of putting it out are real slim, with a fire extinguisher. Trust me. I almost burned my building down twice. Its a great heater, and long as you treat it right. Its all we had on our missile site in Germany, and I was the king of cleaning and repairing them. And you need to keep the burner chamber clean. Too much soot and crap in there will keep it from starting, or working right. Or, not let you see how much fuel is in it. If you run it at low temps for long time periods, the soot will build up. I had an old vacuum cleaner I used to remove cold soot. We also used denatured alcohol. But its a high risk operation. Get the stove going, turn off the fuel. Open the door and toss in a small cup of denatured alcohol. Shut the door as fast as you can, and you might not loose much hair on your arm. Make sure it ALL goes in the stove. The down wind "fallout" of soot is going to anger anyone that is there. We only did this at night. It will burn like crazy for a bit and then die out, Stove Clean! Only a fool forgets to always have a good, big, fire extinguisher at all time near this stove. Do not mix fuel with other things, to get it to burn better. One of the buildings I watched burn up, was because a fool mixed a can of diesel with a gallon of gas. The other burn down was diesel and denatured Alcohol. It works just great on diesel.

TRRickedOut

I fixed the location..... My fault.

Thank for the info. I have a TM for it but was just looking for some insider insight from someone who might have used it. I have plenty of JP4 we use in field kitchen burners but the TM on this said no to JP4 so I thought I would ask on alternative fuels. I had assumed diesel but wanted to be sure simply because I didn't want to burn anything down just like how you mentioned..... LoL.

Super thanks again. I'll give it all a try and I have no hair on my arms to lose anyway ;)

Guyfang

Staff member
Also forgot to mention a drip pan needs to go under it. In case you spill a bit of diesel, or have a leak. its not a good heater. Its a Great heater if treated right. We even used to take them out of our sorry looking buildings, and take them to the field.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks