• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need M1083 mechanic in Middle TN Area NASHVILLE? MURFREESBORO?

TNTV

Hello all. I am new here and to Military vehicles in general. I purchased my first of hopefully many to come stewart and stevenson m1083 FMTV. I had a issue bringing it home. I put new batteries in it at fort cambel army base in clarksville tn. drove about a hour to nashville and it died on I24. Apparently we didn't tighten one of the battery post and it came off and maybe shorted something out. Idk really...... would love to have someone local or in murfreesboro tn area i could refer too. As i am not a mechanic and intend to continue purchasing these in the future. Just won a humvee last week! can't wait to pick it up!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in Dickson, TN but know little to nothing on a FMTV electrical system.

TNTV

Bump. Hey all, i travel for a living and haven't been home in a while, so i never got a chance to mess with my truck at all. Well I'm back home now and will be for a while and am super excited about getting it running for the summer. Can any one help with my no starting issue? Hopefully someone local could come by...... paid of course!

TNTV

Yes sir. It will spin but never fire. Ran fine and started perfect then just suddenly died on interstate. When i looked one of the battery cables was loose and jumped off, i replaced it to the battery and it never started again.......

"Not start at all" define that please. Does engine spin but not fire? Does engine not spin at all?

TNTV

It is a 1998, I’ll have to double check the engine when I get home, (sons basket ball game)

And it just died, no sputtering,
Just quit running and coasted to a stop.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

Check to see if its a 1088 or 1088 a-1, the 1088 should have a 3116 ,the a-1 will have an 3126 or c-7 electronic controlled engine. If you have an electronic engine you will need a scan tool to do most diagnostics, a prolink will do every thing you need, if you have the 3126, but is only good for diagnostics on the c-7. On the c-7 when certain components are changed calibration codes need to be entered and that takes cat e-t (cat proprietary software) to do it. If its the old mechanical 3116 just na multi meter, test light and hand tools are required top troubleshoot it.

coachgeo

It is a 1998, I’ll have to double check the engine when I get home, (sons basket ball game)

And it just died, no sputtering,
Just quit running and coasted to a stop.
a 98 should be a CAT 3116 but on occasion you get one that was re-powered with a newer engine. Either way though, your problem sounds like fuel to me. No fuel, no start.

Then again if there is a low oil pressure safety switch that automatically shuts off the fuel delivery solenoid, then it could be low oil pressure.. (not good news) or bad switch (better news). Sorry I do not recall off top of my head if there is a low oil fuel shut off switch. Generally speaking though.... most any big rig shop should be able to service the truck. I'd look for a place that does service on rigs like school buses, motorhomes etc.

Download the TM's from the first page of this bulletin board and put them on maybe a thumb drive? Give this to them so they can access those manuals. Be prepaired for $$$ cost if your not going to learn to work on the truck yourself.

Last edited:

TNTV

Need m1078 mechanic in middle Tennessee

Hey there. I am needing a mechanic in middle TN area.
I purchased a M1078 6x6 about a year ago at military auction. In Clarksville TN, I put 4 new batteries on it and took off on the interstate toward my home in Murfreesboro TN. I got about 1 hour into the trip and the truck lossed power. I jump out and the first thing I did was check the batteries, sure enough 1 of the cables had jumped off. I hooked it back up and never was able to get it started again. I ended up towing it home and it has sat in my driveway ever since. Is there anyone out there that can help or know someone in this area that works on these?

TNTV

Thanks man. I was hoping to find someone that is mobile as it is so costly to tow these and I am pretty sure it is gonna be a simple fix.....

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is it doing? Are the batteries still charged? Does it turn over or click or anything?

TNTV

No they are not charged at the moment. I haven’t touched it since it was towed about a year ago. I am going to pull the batteries off in the morning and charge them, then I will let you know what its doing.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks