• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need opinion on eng misfire

bones1

Just brought the Deuce out of hibernation for Memorial day and the engine is breaking down(missing) at 1500 rpm with a big loss of power. Any ideas what could cause this condition. It has always run perfect before this. The diesel is not that old 3 months maybe. I know where to look on a gas motor but I am thinking fuel related on this?.
Thanks for any thoughts.

RAYZER

Sounds like a stuck injector. Crack each injector line (at injector) individually while motor running to find the culprit.
Or it may be fuel filters cloged.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Also, you can put the handle of a screw driver to your ear and touch the tip to the injectors. You will be able to tell the ones not firing right.

DavidWymore

Even better, get a mechanics stethoscope, they're awesome. Check for exhaust manifold port temp differences in warmup.

For some reason, the fuel was turned way down on my water deuce when I got it, and it popped and crackled and had low power. Point being, lack of fuel (filters maybe) makes snap crackle pop.

bones1

Sounds like a stuck injector. Crack each injector line (at injector) individually while motor running to find the culprit.
Or it may be fuel filters cloged.
What am I looking for when I crack each line? I did the long screwdriver test on injectors and they all sound the same Gimp.
It goes all to pieces at 1500rpm and up.

gimpyrobb

If the injectors sound the same, I'd say you have hydraulic head issues.

One truck I worked on would fire up but run like crap, nothing sounded wrong. I pulled the injector lines and turned the motor over. 3 holes shot fuel out and 3 didn't. Swapping out the IP solved the issue.

I hope thats not your issue, but its heading that way imho.

RAYZER

What am I looking for when I crack each line? I did the long screwdriver test on injectors and they all sound the same Gimp.
It goes all to pieces at 1500rpm and up.
Cracking the line nut on a working injector will decrease engine rpm.
You will hear it.

gimpyrobb

Be careful if you do that, the fuel is at full pressure in those lines. I have heard it can inject fuel in your skin and give you blood poisoning or something.

I have read that these are positive displacement pumps(the IP is) so the fuel will go somewhere(unless there is internal issues)!

bones1

Yeah it is. Didn't have to do that test. I changed the secondary filters and it runs like new now. I got lucky this time. Thanks for all the help folks.

rustystud

Be careful if you do that, the fuel is at full pressure in those lines. I have heard it can inject fuel in your skin and give you blood poisoning or something.

I have read that these are positive displacement pumps(the IP is) so the fuel will go somewhere(unless there is internal issues)!
This is not an "old wives tale" ! I've seen this happen and it's not pretty ! One of our mechanics was careless and allowed the fuel to go through his hand while holding the injection line. He had to go to the Emergency room immediately ! He wasn't back to work for over a week. They had to connect him up to a "dialysis" machine to clean out the diesel in his blood.

nchittendon

My first thought is fuel filters, and you all jumped right past that. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just curious what the tip off was? Pardon my ignorance, still very new at these trucks.

red

Cracking the line nut on a working injector will decrease engine rpm.
You will hear it.
Realize the problem has already been solved, just posting this up for others regarding safety. When you crack open the line it only needs a 2/3rd or less rotation of the line nut, and ALWAYS USE A WRENCH (line wrench is better), provides distance from the pressurized fuel.

RAYZER

Realize the problem has already been solved, just posting this up for others regarding safety. When you crack open the line it only needs a 2/3rd or less rotation of the line nut, and ALWAYS USE A WRENCH (line wrench is better), provides distance from the pressurized fuel.
Yes,and since I originally brought this up, when you Crack an injector line at the injector the fuel more less dribbles out and disables the injector, no Hi pressure put your eye out fuel spray to be had.
Be careful though!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks