• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some ether start canisters.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know where I can buy some full ether start canister? I cannot locate any.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake0147

Napa has them in the supply chain... I would think that a Napa counter guy in California could look them up and either order one or tell you that they're not for sale there (which wouldn't surprise me terribly).
All the big truck shops around here have them on a next day basis too. Not ever in stock, but no freight either, they come in from someplace close on regular orders. That may be reigonal however as we're just barely cold enough that diesels around here that came with ether start will probably need it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why even deal with them? Buy a can of starting fluid for a few bucks at NAPA and never even bother with your ether start. I have not met too many guys who like their trucks more exact than me, but the ether start is one thing I NEVER mess with. The cannisters are more expensive than a can of starting fluid. When it gets really cold, I give my trucks a sniff of starting fluid. Works every time...and for a fraction of the price.

NorthWoodsDuce

The canister setup on mine is identicle to ones on some of our tractors. Try tractor (farm tractor) supply stores. Remember I am in Wisconsin though, so these are very common around here. I will check and see if the place I order them from has website when I get a chance.

CONTRACT SAVES MONEY AND THE ENVIRONMENT
A new long-term, tailored contract to supply the military and Federal agencies with ethyl ether not only will save money but also will protect the environment. The "win-win" contract is a customer support initiative between the Defense Supply Center Columbus (DSCC), Ohio, and Quick Start Products of Rochelle, Illinois.
Ethyl ether is used to quick-start diesel-powered vehicles in cold weather. Containers of ethyl ether (national stock number 2910-00-646-9727) are used by the military and Federal agencies to quick-start everything from diesel-powered tanks and combat vehicles to trucks and bulldozers. In the past, an 18-ounce canister of ethyl ether could cost as much as $8.11 (depending on locality). Since ethyl ether is a flammable and hazardous material, disposal costs ranged anywhere from $106 to $242 for each empty canister.
Under the new contract, the cost of an 18-ounce canister of ethyl ether is reduced to as low as $6.25. Instead of merely providing the product, the contractor now is required to dispose of empty canisters in accordance with applicable regulations. The only cost incurred by the customer is in shipping the empty cylinders back to the supplier. Cost savings are estimated to be $1.28 million annually.
"We decided it was up to DSCC to alleviate our customer of this excess cost as a customer support initiative," said John J. Jones, of the Hazardous Material Minimization Program of the Standardization Management Team in DSCC's Operations Support Group. "So we formed a team with members from the Land-Based Weapon Systems Group, Procurement; and the Defense Logistics Agency Office of Counsel, Columbus Region, to work the problem."
The result of the team effort was a long-term contract written with a tailored support agreement, the first of its kind at DSCC. "This was all due to DSCC's partnering efforts with the military customer and the manufacturer," added Jones.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I couldn't find any in California, anywhere.

But I found some in a Chevron in Nevada at a Full Service station.
It wouldn't suprise me if they were illegal in CA. Seems alot of stuff I see (mostly cemicals and such) says on it "not legal for sale in CA". It also seems just about everything causes cancer or reproductive harm in CA.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It wouldn't suprise me if they were illegal in CA. Seems alot of stuff I see (mostly cemicals and such) says on it "not legal for sale in CA". It also seems just about everything causes cancer or reproductive harm in CA.

It not that, it is because they found them being used by "METH" cooks as part of the chemical reduction.

Michael

CONTRACT SAVES MONEY AND THE ENVIRONMENT
Since ethyl ether is a flammable and hazardous material, disposal costs ranged anywhere from $106 to $242 for each empty canister.
No wonder our economy is bad. This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have seen in a while.

NorthWoodsDuce

Actually you do not get better results manually. The system installed on the cold weather trucks is made to protect you from "over doing" the ether. Too much ether can destroy engines if you use too much.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, with the canisters, you can give it a 'hit' while cranking the motor. Anyone have a few to sell? Paypal?
Thanks.

the measured amount that is injected with the system is supposed to be small enough as to not damage the engine.

my concern is that mine leaked into the air intake while the truck was sitting and would have done a great amount of damage if started.

it has me gun shy now and i unhooked the bottle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks