• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need something moved? I'm moving from WA to GA then in a few months on up to NC

ABN173

Need something moved? I'm moving from WA to GA then in a few months on up to NC.

I may have room if somebody need something moved along the way. I start this move on 13 DEC, planned route is to go South through California then cut East once I'm past most of the mountains. I'm using the M35A2 and pulling my CUCV so I would not say I have a ton of room but I should have some. the 2nd half of the move will not be until March 2013 leaving from Columbus, GA to FT Bragg, NC. Anyway let me know if anyone needs something picked up and we can discuss it.

-Dale

MarcusOReallyus

Ah, Good old Ft. Lewis! I kept a souvenir fungus for many years after a couple of weeks there. :D Got to tackle my company commander and help throw him in the water, too. Fun times. :mrgreen:

Missing most of the mountains? You have to cross the Rockies no matter how you slice it. The Southern route (I-10) is much easier than I-70, but I'm not sure it's better than I-84/I-80. Maybe a bit. With I-84/I-80 it's steep going up the western side, but the downgrade is easy. I-70 is the opposite. So, from a braking standpoint, I-84/I-80 is much easier on the equipment. I-10 is about same same either way, as I recall. Not as twisty, though.

You don't want to even think about going I-80 across the Sierra Nevada.

Going down I-5 you have to deal with The Grapevine, then you are into southern California traffic. That ain't fun. If you are planning on I-5 to I-10, watch your time of day. Hit that I-10 stretch in the afternoon and you will be crawling in some nasty stop-and-slow traffic for many, many hours. I-10 in L.A. county is the busiest highway in the country. You just don't want to be there in the afternoon. If you hit it in the morning, you'll be on the light side. That won't be too bad. The worst of the traffic is going IN to L.A., from east to west.

Another option to avoid L.A. traffic is to bail off of I-5 just south of Gorman on Hwy 138 and cut across to I-15, then down to I-10. Like this. That's not busy at all, and most of it is fairly flat. Yes, there are some grades to deal with. The worst will be the section dropping down I-15/215 to 10. But it's 3-4 lanes each way and a major truck and train route, so it can't be too bad.

There are some good steep grades no matter where you go. Pick your poison!

Safe trip, Chief! :beer:

3dAngus

Good luck Dale. That is quite a haul for a deuce. Let's hope you get a little bit of fuel money, as that one is looking like no less than $1600 in diesel costs, not including oil and fluids and time.

Ft. Benning is changed a lot recently. You'll like it (I think).

Be careful. Rest often. Towing will make it even more difficult and costly, but I have a feeling you're well used to it.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may need a cargo cover and bows moved from Olympia to GA. Have someone looking for freight cost on those items. If you are interested, let me know how much to throw them on board and I will pass it on as an option.

I also have made the drive many times, I was stationed at McCord for 8 years. Except for the blizzzard on 80 in Wyoming, I preferred that route for sure.

Pat

ABN173

I may need a cargo cover and bows moved from Olympia to GA. Have someone looking for freight cost on those items. If you are interested, let me know how much to throw them on board and I will pass it on as an option.

I also have made the drive many times, I was stationed at McCord for 8 years. Except for the blizzzard on 80 in Wyoming, I preferred that route for sure.

Pat
Hey Pat, I could do that. Not looking to profit per say, a bit to help with fuel cost so I can at least match whatever quote you have, probably better.

-Dale

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you run into trouble or need a place to crash, I am along I-20 in Columbia, SC, which would be on your route to Bragg I think.

Good luck and drive safe!

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to skirt around LA on your way to I-10 we are on that route. You can stop here if needed, or if you need more info on the route around I may be able to help some.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you can also keep going from Palmdale to Victorville, on 18, then on to 247 in Lucerne valley (Hundy's home) and down to Yucca valley. All easy roads. From there I-10 can be connected w/ either north of Palm Springs, . . . or by going west on 62 till it meets 177 east of the park.
We use these roads all the time w/ our trucks, simple 2 lanes.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dale, If you need any help between FBGA and FBNC I'm at FGGA, almost right in the middle of that stretch.

Of course if you're going to break down during a cross country MV road trip I think GA is about the best place :smile:, there are a bunch of members down this way.

Good luck! I think we're all looking forward to the trip report after your looonnnng haul. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks