• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need to Know EveryThing About Deuces

Goose2448

I am looking at buying a M35A2 and need to know what to look for. I would like to look at a few good examples first to compair. I would be nice to drive one to get a feel of what they are supposed to do. Thanks Goose.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The BEST place to start is the TMs found in the RESOURCES section of this site (see clickable link above).

Next, READ, READ, READ..... I am a fellow newbie and have already learned MUCH simply by doing just that... READING.

Once you think you've started learning something, you start asking specific questions.... but be advised... do a SEARCH before asking - your topic may have already been covered in one of the MANY threads found (and archived) here.

As with you initial question.... it's already been covered... just browse the threads and do some reading. It's actually FUN.

WARNING - the more you read, the more you'll become an MV ADDICT:!:

Good luck and welcome aboard:-D

tx399999

It depends on you're experience. I am a light infantryman, so when it comes to vehicles all I knew was how to find the PMCS checklist in a -10. I just read all the posts I could for several months before I bought a truck from a private seller so I knew I could get it to the house. When you get a truck home is when you really start learning.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look for ( in no order): Torque rods with bad rubber, puffing or lots of smoke from the crankcase vent, running on less than 6 cylinders, won't exceed 45 mph, rusted rockers and cowl, oil coming from the brake drums, really late clutch engagement, clutch slipping, oil puddles under truck after sitting a day, wobbly fan blade, lots of play in steering, severe rust in rear spring trunnion seat, exploded winch worm housing, howling from any gear cases, blue smoke from exhaust, no hum from in tank fuel pump, oil in air tanks, engine oil milky, water running out of axle fill plugs, high engine oil level, clicking or knocking from engine, puffing exhaust, pulls hard when braking.

Others??

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I know this is going to sound smart alecky but it isn't meant to be.

Go into the deuce forum, start at the very oldest thread and just start reading.

In a few days, your knowledge will be 100Xfold (100fold?).

Other than that, NDT's short list is pretty spot on.

And when you go to look at the truck, take an experienced Deuceophile with you.

zout

Looking for a sure fire way to protect yourself in a purchase here is not an answer.

Sorry to say we all learn by learning AFTER we purchase the trucks.
To learn pre-hand what you are getting into is read - read - read and know your capabilities - mechanic wise. You will learn as you go. You will learn from posted TM's.

But you need to know what you are looking at, and what you are in for to make adjustments to the truck. Leaving the decision to a "site" it not a question - it is a matter of reading posts and learning if this is what you are looking for.

After a purchase - there are many a folk here to help - but you have to learn by reading. As most - once purchased - knowledge how to work on it is available.
Personally I have read more than posted. When I have asked for help knowing I am listening - and can help myself - their wisdom comes freely.
There is an abundance of experiece here.

Blood_of_Tyrants

1. decide if you are going to cut the bed down or use an M105 trailer for the bed
2. Remove the bed for storage and/or cut down
3. Remove rear axles.
4. Remove rear cross member and tail lights.
5. Cut frame down
6. Reinstall rear crossmember
7. Mount springs from deuce front end or M105 trailer. If you use the M105 trailer, the easiest thing to do is just cut the trailer frame and mount the frame and spring son the deuce.
8. Install one rear axle with lengthened drive shaft
9. Connect everything
10. Install M105 or shortened deuce bed.
11. Enjoy.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've dedicated myself for the past two weeks on just reading, cross referencing, and meeting with a few of the guys just to get my feet wet before getting my first "ten treads of terror". Even then I should probably wait..but I cant help it.:mrgreen: But for your question..theres no straight answer, in fact, its more of a perpetuating philosophical ideology. But as said... "read-read-read" and "what its worth to you".

Personally..by what I've read and had to deal with with GL..go private seller for the first buy. I didnt even bid on a EUC required item and the deal got canceled/recalled. (It was camo netting for goodness sake). Mabey later I'll gamble with the GL monopoly for an additional set of wheels but we'll see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks