• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need to lighten my m105a2

sweet trav

so I'm thinking that I'll remove a couple leafs from the leaf spring packs, which will also lower the trailer a bit (something i want) while reducing weight.

I've also heard about removing the from wheel assembly and just using a generic trailer crank post to hold it up for storage.

I've also heard about doing a complete axle/wheel swap but that is most likely out of my price range and more than I choose to get into.

any other ways to lighten it up a bit?

thanks for any info!
T

KsM715

A couple of leaves aren't going to remove that much weight. 105's are just heavy, there are not enough parts to remove to reduce the weight enough without removing the bed. If you do that, whats the point of owning a 105 to begin with.

sweet trav

obviously I need the bed so that we can use the trailer for towing our stuff out to colorado. I didn't think that removing leafs would take off much weight just some weight while also lowering the trailer. removing the front wheel assembly is probably the best option since I'm not wanting to invest any more money in this trailer...just an electric actuator to replace the air actuator forthe hydrolic brakes so that I have brakes for towing.

I'll see what else I can cut out once I get some time...

amaverick88

i would say to just look around it and under it to see if there are any unused brackets that you dont need to have or use for. any bit of weight would be helpful. Do you need to lighten it because of the tow vehicle you are using?

5ton4ever

Fill the tires with helium.:-? Just kidding. I would swap it out with a m101 which weighs about 1200 pounds less. you will have a little less cargo space, but just pile it higher. Also the newer ones have surge brakes on them, no need for an electric brake controller.

sweet trav

i would say to just look around it and under it to see if there are any unused brackets that you dont need to have or use for. any bit of weight would be helpful. Do you need to lighten it because of the tow vehicle you are using?
ok, the tow vehicle is a 97 landcruiser with a tow capaity of 5000 #'s US and for some reason 7000 #'s outside the states. so towing it isn't a problem although I do want it as light as possible. for now I think that removing the front wheel assambly and some leafs will get it down a couple hundred pounds.

KsM715

Remember we are just trying to help you and want to be safe about it.

Now, with that out of the way, I bet that tow rating is 5K with trailer brakes. The 105 is a monster (empty) behind anything smaller than a 3/4 ton. It may feel fine going down the road and even slowly comeing to a stop but if you have to jump on the brakes in a hurry its going to push you right through what ever your trying not to hit. Like was mentioned before sell the 105 and look for a M101a2/a3 with the surge brake.

sweet trav

yep, thanks. we're addressing the brakes now...checking out the electric actuator to replace the air actuator so that the trailers stock brakes work. That should be plenty good enough.

amaverick88

also one thing to think about is if the tongue is going to be level or not while hooked up to your tow vehicle. even with my lifted f-150 and a pintle hook that has multiple mounting positions my m536 is still nose down with the tongue. not sure if the 105 is roughly the same height or not.

Sephirothq

If you had a 105A3 you would have a surge brake. You could put a 1 ton truck axle under it, lower it, lose some weight and still have brakes.

Probably best to just get a 101

sweet trav

this trailer is for a move from socal to colorado so this is not going to be a camping/offroad trailer. we're probably just going to sell it once we get to colorado or just use it for storage.

as far as the height, I'm going to flip the drawbar ring which will add some front height and level out the trailer while towing. along with that I'll probably remove some of the leafs from the leaf spring packs to lower the trailer and also take some weight off.

selling this and buying an m101 is not an option since we move in a few weeks.

amaverick88

flipping the drawbar will help out to level it not sure if it will make it completely level. but hopefully it will work out for you and have a safe trip to colorado.

Oldfart

You might consider selling the M105 there in stock condition and renting a u-haul. M105's don't sell for as much here in Colorado as they do on the West Coast. I recently bought a couple of M105's complete with side racks, bows and canvas for less than $200 each. I have seen people asking $1000 for one, but they stay for sale for ever. $500 is more often the asking price and who knows what they actually sold for (in my case it was $180 each and get them hauled off right away.)

sweet trav

You might consider selling the M105 there in stock condition and renting a u-haul. M105's don't sell for as much here in Colorado as they do on the West Coast. I recently bought a couple of M105's complete with side racks, bows and canvas for less than $200 each. I have seen people asking $1000 for one, but they stay for sale for ever. $500 is more often the asking price and who knows what they actually sold for (in my case it was $180 each and get them hauled off right away.)
we've already checked on the uhaul option and it was 1k so we decided to buy a trailer and at least have something to show for the money and if we decide to sell it then anything we'll get for it will at least bring us cash back.

also, it appears as though we're going to go through the eastern side of utah (much flatter) rather than enter into colorado around the four corners area and try to go through the mountains...this should be substantially easier on the tow rig and also safer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks