• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Neutral switching panel

bones1

Would this be of use with a MEP series install or unnecessary?. I am trying to line up what plugs/boxes I need to plug a cord into the house and then take it to the panel. Reliance LL550c plug and a PB50 using 6/4 soow cable with a box outside should work. What do you guys use to get the power into the house?. I would not need this type of box running 4 wires .

http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?XRC0605CR

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be best used for consumer generators where you couldn't control how the ground and neutral were bonded.

A MEP doesn't require anything more than a standard transfer switch.

Chainbreaker

What particular MEP? Good to know what the output amperage capability is.

Then you need to decide if you need to use a transfer switch or a simple inlet box with panel interlock with a generator breaker in panel (do you have room in panel?).

If you want to use some sort of auto-start module on your generator your definitely looking at a automatic transfer switch. If a manual start generator and you want to utilize any circuits in your panel (within the limits of the generator's output) then you can use a inlet box/interlock panel type setup.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember that if you go with an automatic transfer switch you can't do a whole house version unless the generator is sized for the whole house load. The code doesn't allow you to automatically transfer a generator into an overload situation. With a manual transfer switch there is not such requirement. They expect that if you are transferring manually you are also doing manual load management.

bones1

Thanks for the replies. It is a MEP-003a and I would only use manual transfer. Maybe a 50amp receptacle on the generator and one on the house. The home already has a Generac 5449 main panel which has an automatic transfer switch built into the panel itself. I think I can switch this panel manually.
This panel is designed to be used only with a Generac propane unit since it is controlled by the generator controller.
Here is a link to the panel I have http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Generac-Guardian-5449/p2161.html

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you search around you should be able to find the specs on that ATS. I'm sure with a little work you could build a controller that will switch it for you if you like. I've looked at buying one of the Generac ATS to play with since you can get them second hand pretty cheap.

bones1

I found the manual for the transfer switch and schematics. I also was told that I can run the motor in the panel with a 9volt battery and make it switch by doing this:" Negative wire to 23 on terminal block inside panel. "Break the positive wire through a switch and connect to 15B on strip. turn on switch and the servo should rotate to actuate the breakers to switch power source. An alarm panel battery would be even better, as they are 12 volts." Now if somebody could suggest, one of you gurus maybe, a circuit that would sense when the power goes out, wait there is a sense relay/breaker in the automatic part of the panel that may just do this already. This is where I need the electronics man. .
The manual/ schematics http://soa.generac.com/manuals/0054481/0G4739

Last edited:

tim292stro

The sense relay is illustrated in the standby generator. You can emulate this with a standard 240V-coil DPDT socket relay and socket-base. With a DPDT, you can use one isolated switch side for the load center control, and the other to request the generator start (keeping your 12V and 24V circuits isolated).

Basically what is happening here is the relay is powered by the utility, when utility power drops, the relay switches - triggering the transfer device to move the breakers to the generator position, using a battery that is normally charged by utility power.

The other switched-side of the relay can give you a "generator request", but that is normally to trigger an auto-start controller that is built into the standby generator. You'd have to add that to an MEP if it was not already modified for that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks