• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 85 M1009 24V 6.2L owner starting issues?

GunnyM1009

Ok so it was running fine one day then the next I go to turn it over and all I get is fast clicking. My first thought was a bad starter silanoid since I just bought both of the deep cycle batteries. I replaced the starter and I still get the same thing. All the connections seem to be good and there are no bad fuses that I can find. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Also check ALL the connections on the fuse blocks on the pass side firewall, make sure they are all clean and tight.

GunnyM1009

Are there supposed to be more than two wires attached to the starter I seem two remember other starters i have replaced having three wires going to them

GunnyM1009

Ok is there any other relays or elecrical components that would cause the starter to just click because so far its still giving the same issues. I just retested the starter and it is engaging and spining good while off the vehicle

rlltide12

If you have any loose grounds or any loose connections that is what is going to cause the fast clicking. The starter does not have the required amps to turn over, so even though you may have voltage, it still doesnt have the amps. Look for corroded or loose connections. Gotta be it. If it was a single click, id say its a starter issue, but multiple clicks says connections or batteries

GunnyM1009

Ok well im gonna go bolt the starter back up and go through the connections again and if that does not work then I guess the thing is gonna have to be rewired

GunnyM1009

I am at my wits end after being all in under and around this thing for the past three days I wish I could afford to just take it some where to have it worked on but I cant. I just re did the battery terminals checked all the connections at the firewall

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked the starter relay under the dash?

How long have you owned the truck?

What skill set do you have? Know how to turn a wrench? Read a wiring diagram? Use a multimeter? (We have to ask so we know how to explain stuff)

When you installed the new batteries how did you wire them?

Last edited:

cpf240

Have you checked the starter relay under the dash?

How long have you owned the truck?

have you heard about the Doghead Starter Relay upgrade? ( it's in the stickies)

What skill set do you have? Know how to turn a wrench? Read a wiring diagram? Use a multimeter? (We have to ask so we know how to explain stuff. No need to tell you how to do a brain surgery if you can't use a band-aid)
Guess someone isn't reading the whole thread... he says he did the Doghead mod in post #4 ( Sorry, hard to resist! )

cpf240

To the OP:

1) Do you have a voltmeter?
2) You say the batteries were changed, can you post pictures to confirm they are connected properly?
3) If you do have a voltmeter, can you confirm the voltage on the connections at the starter, both when key off and key in cranking position?

This might help narrow down the problem a bit. Thanks!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you load test the batteries? Sometimes even new batteries are bad.

Also battery cables are know to go bad from internal corrosion.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks