• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NEW ATF in a 6.2??

joediveguy

Ok, so I have seen the different posts and I need to ask, just to be sure. Can you use ATF in the 6.2 CUCV motor? I have seen two different camps, one for and one against. For being it is ok to use and against being it had additives that enhance friction which is bad for the IP.

I have a case of Toyota ATF Type T-IV left over from a Camry I once had. Is that ok to use, mixed with the diesel of course?

Chief_919

It will work.

the friction modifiers in ATF will shorten your IP life if you run pure ATF for a long time. A case mixed in? No big deal.

I know a guy who runs pure used/filtered ATF, because he rebuilds transmissions for a living and has a steady free supply. He goes through an IP about every 40k miles. But you know what, a $300 IP rebuild, vs buying 2500 gallons of diesel, he wins easily.

jjramrod

If you put a bottle in a tank it will clean your fuel injectors. My father puts a bottle in his semi tanks when he fills up. He says its the best injector cleaner in the world and he was a top mechanic for caterpillar. He is currently the mechanic for a construction company. Another tip to keep things going is put a bottle of cheap motor oil in for lubricant this new fuel sucks it has most of the lubricants removed. This will also give you better mpg. You can also mix some high sulfur off road fuel in to get some lubricant.

jjramrod

Atf is red off road is red. As long as you have the empty bottle of atf to prove that it is in there then they can dip the tanks and test it and it will come out as having the atf in it. My father has been through that with the semi. Dot thought they had him. He told them about the atf they tested it and after an hour sent him on his way. If you don't want a trace of any die at all then just add some black motor oil it will wipe everything else out and turn your fuel dark gray.

pizzaworld

So I live in Tennessee...drive a Cucv pickup every day as my daily driver. Just wondering HOW they test offroa farm use diesel..? Is it really possible to get around the test with a quart of used motor oil? And what's the fine if you're caught running farm use?

this is interesting, i had heard you could use atf but never heard add some motor oil. i think i may try adding a little atff and motor oil just to see what it does

45FMJoe

If you put a bottle in a tank it will clean your fuel injectors. My father puts a bottle in his semi tanks when he fills up. He says its the best injector cleaner in the world and he was a top mechanic for caterpillar. He is currently the mechanic for a construction company. Another tip to keep things going is put a bottle of cheap motor oil in for lubricant this new fuel sucks it has most of the lubricants removed. This will also give you better mpg. You can also mix some high sulfur off road fuel in to get some lubricant.
How big are said semi tanks? 50 gallons? If so a half bottle should be good for a 25-30 gallon tank?

kassim503

Toss it in! I ran a heavy gear oil blend thru a 6.2 before, it just smelled worse than usual but supports the idea that these old diesels will burn almost anything

jjramrod

How big are said semi tanks? 50 gallons? If so a half bottle should be good for a 25-30 gallon tank?
They were actually 150 gallon tanks. But he has stuck a whole bottle in a tank as small as 35 gallons and also has put straight atf in the filter before screwing it on and so have i.

unaffiliated

I run a gallon of fresh ATF in my 1008 every 1000 miles. I have put clean motor oil in too with no problems. I probably should just put a quart of ATF in every fill up. I always fill Mercedes fuel filters up with ATF when I change them out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks