• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"New" Deuce wih engine nosie - suggestions

HeadWizard

I picked up a Deuce from Ft. Meade 2 weeks ago and just got around to giving it the once over. We slave cabled it and it started rather quickly but had the most horrible upper end engine noise you ever wanted to hear. No smoke, blow by, oil in water or water in oil. No bottom end engine noise. Shut her down and went to exploring.

Pulled the front valve cover and there was an obvious problem, two of the exhaust push rods were badly bent and the corresponding rockers were tweeked a little. All the other rockers and push rods appear OK. All the valve heights are the same and all the valves will move down if pushed hard enough.

We did not restart it with the push rods out of it.

Suggestions as to what could have caused this? Possible other damage? How much further should I tear it down or should I throw in 2 push rods in and try it? (I don't have any extras unless I rob them from a running engine).

I really don't want to tear it down unless I have to.

Thanks for the help and I do appreciate smart ass comments as necessary.

Recht71

I would replace the bent push rods and ajust the all the valves. I have seen bent push rods before , possible the engine over reved ,might of had rookie driver on a down hill run could of over reved the engine. Or the govnor isn,t working . I'll bet driver error just a guess. You will probably be ok ,the valve train is pretty simple . Good Luck Let us Know

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I recall one of the guys at the Georgia rally last year, had a bunch of NOS pushrods.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOS, new old stock, aka...unused surplus parts.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If Mike doesn't post up soon, I have some used ones I can send. Might as well wait for a NOS set though.

militarysteel

yeah the engine was over run. just like what was already mentioned.... going down hill . i guess its kind of cool that its just some push rods and maybe a couple rockers.

my dad had a inline 6 gas WHITE kohler generator... he may still have it acutely. one of the pushrods had just popped out, put it back in and it was working like a champ.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks