• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Broome Co. NY

FrankenCub

Hi guys, been lurking a while so I suppose I should at least be polite and introduce myself. I stumbled across mention of this place when I was looking for a replacement for my too small pickup. I first really got turned on to the Unimog. Seen one locally and checked it out but found it was going to need more work than I was willing to pay for it. Although I love the portal axles and locking differentials! Gave up on the search for a Mog when I started seeing what they get for a serviceable 404. Ran into the gov auction cites and found an interest in the LMTV, but after watching some of the videos they had posted in their site the sound of injector problems in many of them really turned me off. Then I noticed the starting bids doubled in a matter of 2 months. Another turn off, I kinda figure they realized the interest in them is up.
When watching videos I seen a bunch of you guys from here with M35A2 and the more I look into them the more I realize that's the truck for me. Super simple, easily maintained, and multi fuel diesel. I actually have uses for this size truck so it makes the choice easy. As much as I love my '71 GMC she's just too small for my needs and absolutely worthless off the road.
The final deciding factor, they seem to be about a third the price of the Mog or LMTV in comparable condition!
Needless to say I'm on the hunt for the right M35. I found a local guy from here that has a long bed that I'm going to get together with to learn some more about them and plan on making a trip into Pa to look at a couple A2's. I know I've seen some here close to me sitting around but I just can't seem to place where I seen them. So, I'm on the prowl!

Brendan

dougco1

Welcome from Otsego County; There is plenty of M35s out there to be had. They come across this site quite often. Just keep your eye on the classified section and you will find what your looking for. Try wheelspinner, he has a nice duce for sale in North Carolina. He Use to live in Oneida county NY but his blood run thin so he moved south.

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! I was just in Broome County a couple weeks ago. Very good time. I do have a nice rust free deuce that is now relocated to NC. Might be a bit of a haul but they are out there. Good luck.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site ! it is a great site with tons of info . You are close to Kublos in PA he has lots of MV's to pick from , He should be able to fix you right up with a Deuce . The Deuce is a great vehicle , My ideal MV would be a M35A2C , dropside with a winch , good hunting , that's part of the fun , BUT beware of the GREEN ADDICTION , it can get ugly FAST !!! LOL BTW you can download the TM's from this site . Bob k

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! I used to live in broome county. I have a M109A3 with the LDS engine for sale in broome county. It runs amazing! I sent a PM on the details.

FrankenCub

Thanks for the welcome guys! Always amazes me how many people I meet on the net that used to live in NY lmao. I'd love to leave this **** hole but it's not in my budget. UpState NY is so beautiful and so many great people but the political environment is horrible. On to better things! I've been enjoying reading the TMs, some stuff is quite comical due to the time period. So much useful info here.
I've found a couple on Craigslist in the $4500 range that kinda interested me but one has super singles and I've read they don't have very good tread life, 6000 miles or so. I definitely won't be able to afford replacing them once a year. My idea M35 would just be the basics, I don't need a drop side bed, really don't even want it, the canvas troop cover can come later, and a winch would be nice as it would get used but not a deal breaker. Definitely a turbo engine though, I'm not into smokers. Even if it's a bit nasty looking, as long as it's not a rot box I have a sand blaster and paint gun :)

@wheelspinner That's a great looking Deuce you have. Will keep it in mind if I don't find anything locally and find the extra cash.
@Wildchild467 Replied to your PM ;)

Anyway, I'm not in a super hurry to find one. I'd much rather take some time to get the right one for me. Checking them out this time of year has the benefit of seeing how well they start in the cold too. Cab help eliminate possible expensive problems. At some point I will run down to Kublo's, they're only 25 minutes away from me. And if their stock is anything like their old videos on YouTube...HOLY CRAP! I know where some junkers are sitting for parts too ;)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from GA. They are great trucks. I've logged tens of thousands of miles in them.

FrankenCub

Ok, this is the third time I've replied to this. The one line post previously was fine. When edited to finish the post it goes MIA ..scratches head..

FrankenCub

Well I don't know why those 2 posts are missing but I'll try one more time.
Thanks guys for the warm welcome! So much valuable information here, I've been reading through some of the TMs and found some of them quite comical because of the time frame of their publishing. My search should be pretty simple. Don't need or even want drop side bed, don't need canvas troop cover yet, although a winch would be useful for me not having one wont be a deal breaker.
Hopefully soon I'll get to Kublo's, they're only 25 minutes away from me. If their stock is anything like their old YouTube videos, wow! I know where there's some junkers for parts too ;) I've seen a couple in the $4500 range that would suit me, one of them already have super singles. But from what I've read the tire life isn't very good, 6000 miles? I wont be able to afford to replace tires once a year if that's the case.

@wheelspinner .. I'll keep that in mind for if I don't find something locally and find some extra cash.
@Wildchild467 .. I replied to your PM

I don't remember what I posted the last couple times so I'll have to leave it at that. Hopefully this posts correctly lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks