• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Gulf Coast Texas

noles0121

Hello everyone,

I am a retired Army Cav Scout turned Detective. I have been placed in charge of my departments 1985 M923 high water rescue vehicle. I’m on the Gulf Coast of Texas and Hurricane season is upon us so I was told this is the place to be when you’re the one with the trucks in your hands.
Jesse

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if you've found them yet, but there is a great TM section where you can download them all.

Welcome to the site, and yes, a LOT of knowledge here!

Also, this can't be stressed enough:

nopics

😁🤣😂

Let's see that bad boy!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have been given good advice. Same here, I oversee three hw trucks for my department as well.
Before Hurricane season starts, I typically start driving the trucks weekly to make sure everything is in good shape. Make sure all post-fording maintenance has been done since last swimming so no wheels fall off due to rusted out bearings. Have your driver and navigator and rescue swimmer spend some time with drills so when the shtf you are a well trained team. Teach them not to go deeper than the top of the tires, that is my rule to stay out of trouble with 20 evacuees in back.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You have been given good advice. Same here, I oversee three hw trucks for my department as well.
Before Hurricane season starts, I typically start driving the trucks weekly to make sure everything is in good shape. Make sure all post-fording maintenance has been done since last swimming so no wheels fall off due to rusted out bearings. Have your driver and navigator and rescue swimmer spend some time with drills so when the shtf you are a well trained team. Teach them not to go deeper than the top of the tires, that is my rule to stay out of trouble with 20 evacuees in back.
First Class Plan @NDT !

Everybody just needs to remember these MV's really are trucks - not boats. Your rule about no water above the top of the tires is pretty much spot-on. Staying at that water level (or less) will also allow a measure of safety if the truck finds a hole or a rut or a ditch...

noles0121

Thank yall for the advise and the welcome, here she is. We have some more work to do to it to make it storm ready. I have been assigned as the driver and my CID partner as Navigator since we both have been handling maintenence and have been taking it on test runs down our narrow streets. We are working on a strong #3 and 4 to be a part of it and were running out of time but it will be done soon.

This beast runs great fires right up I just need to get some sending units for the oil pressure, engine temp and fuel level.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck looks great. Add to you list of things to do: the rear bows and vinyl top (to keep everyone out of the driving rain) and boarding stairs of some kind. This last item is critical as many of your evacuees will be incapable of climbing up the tailgate or even climbing a ladder. Then what happens is you guys end up trying to lift some 300 lb person and end up with back strains, ask me how I know.

noles0121

Truck looks great. Add to you list of things to do: the rear bows and vinyl top (to keep everyone out of the driving rain) and boarding stairs of some kind. This last item is critical as many of your evacuees will be incapable of climbing up the tailgate or even climbing a ladder. Then what happens is you guys end up trying to lift some 300 lb person and end up with back strains, ask me how I know.
Yeah we have the bows and top in our storage and should be putting them on soon. We actually just ran by the High School and are having stairs made for it ot make it easier to get in and out. We used this thing during Harvey and it was a pain for sure. I would like better bows because the 1X2's that came with the truck shattered during our last storm which concerns me but they swear the new ones will hold up.

Any tips on equipment to have inside or with the truck? Even though we used it, at that time it was owned by another individual so this will be our first season with it in service so I would like to do it right. I hate that we waited so long but we finaly have admin in place to support the need.

Thank You

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chain saw, pike poles, ropes, tow chains, life rings, pfd's, a 24-12 volt converter for handheld radio charging base and also cig lighter sockets to plug in phone chargers, towels to wipe the inside of the windshield constantly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks