• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from Tallahassee

yagenrok636

Hello,

My name is Rob. I work at a car and truck accessory shop, and we came across a customer who had a deuce and a half for sale. I've wanted one for years so I ended up buying it.

Here's where I need some opinions. The guy had started to bob the thing. He took out the driveshafts. He cut out the rivets from the frame plates that hold the rear ends in place. He cut the brake lines because the banjo bolt fittings were rusted and rounded off. He removed the gas tank and the 12' bed. Here's what I've done since I got the thing two months ago:

I bought Grade 8 bolts and bolted the plates back to the frame and the rear end assembly (pics up soon). Should I also weld the whole thing onto the frame? Is there a need? I'm definitely not going to abuse this thing, probably on-road driving 99% of the time.

I bought more bolts and put the driveshafts back in. I bought MORE bolts and put the gas tank on and got the pump running. I primed the fuel and it cranked right up. In two hours I had it driving around the parking lot with no brakes.

This past week, I took ALL the brake lines off the truck. I've got a buddy that makes lines and I got steel braided for the entire truck for $250. Here's another question: I filled the brakes up with Dot 5, pumped the brakes about 30 times and the brakes work GREAT. How? I didn't even bleed them? I don't wanna leave the parking lot and lose brakes.

Other than some seat covers and getting some gauges to work, I'm ready to drive this thing around town! I'm excited.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks