• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new guy needs help

blazinball45

i recently bought my first m35a2 1968 jeep kaiser white multiefuel. now im blind when it comes to this. i can work on a chevy but this is a whole new game. the truck is in exellent shape runs good shifts good transfer high an low works but the front end wont engage. if i coast backwards the steering wheel will shake so bad i cant hardly hold on then when i take off in a forward gear i hear a clunk an the hole truck shakes. anyy thoughts or suggestions would be apprecited thanks

Barrman

Welcome to the fun. I am writting this with a smile on my face, so don't take it as mean. Click on the "resources" tab up at the top of the page and get to the TM section. Find the manuals for the M35 and down load them. Print them if you want. Then, spend the next few weeks reading them all the way through.

These are extremely simple machines. However, they were meant to be used in specific ways and until you read how to use them, bad things can happen.

Now, if your truck has a switch with a light next to it bolted onto the bottom of the dash under the gauges, that is the front axle engagement switch. That is the newer style of transfer case. Figure 1970 or so and up.

Before that, the front axle was engaged based on rear tire spin. If the speed of the rear output was faster by 6% than that of the front tires, the transfer case engaged the front shaft. All without the driver doing anything. Sprag is the name most people on this site refer to that version of the transfer case.

Because the Sprag case had to know which direction the truck was moving, there is a shaft that connects the transmission to the t-case. 1st and reverse have to be selected before the truck can move in those respective directions of travel. So, if you back up in reverse, then put the truck into 2nd to start driving. The t-case still thinks you are moving in reverse. Bad things happen. Before the really bad things though, you get wind up. Jack up on of the front tires. Stay away from the tire because if you have wind up, it will start to spin as soon as it clears the ground. Driving around in loose dirt also lets it un wind.

Wind up can happen if you let the truck coast back while sitting at a light in 1st. My 1952 Gasser pops to let me know I do this every now and then.

Read the manuals.

Last edited:

blazinball45

sprag. i belive im going to get an airshift an just do away with that 6% bs it would make me nervous if it worked rite thanks for the help an im downloading the manules right now. keep in mind im a 20 year old kid. i have a lot to learn but im fortunate enogh to have some friends that worked on these in the service. im open to comments and if anyone lives in the south eastern ohio area an could give some advice id be happy to listen

aspann

I have a M35 with the sprag. I don't have any problem with it. I was told to not to roll back or forward when I was in 1st or reverse with the clutch in. I haven't jacked mine up yet to see if it's wound up or not, but will soon. By the way, welcome to the site. I drove my first one when I was 17, had to look at the data plate to see how to change gears. I'm 72 now.

Last edited:

jimm1009

Welcome to the O.D. Green addiction for which there is no cure.

If you need help getting the manuals or are missing some there are others here on S.S. that can help.
Ditto on rolling backwards in first gear even with the clutch in.
Jut to give it try, do it one more time. Then pull forward onthe same incline, brake, shift to neutral, and then roll backwards doing everything else the same.
Let us know what happens. I'm guessing sprag noise but could be other things.
Inquiring minds need to know....
Pics of your new ride will be nice when you have time.

jimm1009

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on rolling backwards in first gear even with the clutch in.
Jut to give it try, do it one more time. Then pull forward onthe same incline, brake, shift to neutral, and then roll backwards doing everything else the same.
Sorry, I'm trying to understand what the suggested trial should proof...:?

Just to clarify: if the original problem was drivetrain wind-up after "coasting backwards" it still will occur in NEUTRAL... !!
Only when shifted into REVERSE should a spragTC-equipped truck pull or roll backwards! (That, no matter if clutch was depressed or not; also irrelevant if TC was shifted into H, L or N position.)

Otherwise, selecting any of ALL forward gears or NEUTRAL position of the tranny is OK to move (or let her roll) forwards!

Details here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/32130-shifting-sprag-tc-how-works.html

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks