• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New here... bunch of LMTV questions.

Terrh

Just signed up for this forum. I am thinking about getting an LMTV, they seem like an amazing truck for the money and I've wanted an army truck for a long time. Almost bought an M35 about 5 years ago but decided against it at the last minute. (no storage or room back then). I think the M1078 is the truck for me - though I'd consider a van version as well.

I've been looking around for LMTV info and found a bunch of the tech manuals, etc, but still have a lot of questions that probably only non-military owners of the things can answer! I'm hoping you guys can help me in my quest.

First, and now most importantly - where to buy one? I saw dozens on GL the last time I looked (mid april) but now there are zero army trucks of any kind on there.

Second - How much should I pay for one? The ones I saw on GL seemed to be between $3000 and $7000, and I saw one on here for $10k - but I have no idea what they are going for these days. I'd rather pay a bit more for a better truck than buy the cheapest one there is.

Third - Highway MPG? is 8-10 a thing, or are they more like 5? Any way to improve it, and the top speed - or at least make it so it can cruise at 55 nicely? I would love to be able to make it go 65 MPH at 10 MPG, but I have no idea if that's possible considering the weight of the thing. I can get 10 MPG in a freightliner semi bobtail, and 15 in my F250 towing 10K behind it if I'm gentle though, so I don't see why not - at least if it can be regeared a bit.

Forth - Towing - can I tow an M1078 with another M1078? If I get one, my brother says he has to have one too, and towing the second one home would make things easier (and cheaper if it ends up being far away). I'm assuming I'd have to pull the driveshafts from the towed one, and I know they're only rated to tow 10K but I feel like that's probably 10K through a desert and that going 50 on the highway is a lot easier.

5 - Export - can I export one to Canada? It is pretty straightforeward importing one, and I've imported several other vehicles from the USA before - but I have no idea if it being an ex military vehicle will mean that they won't sell me one if I'm a foreigner. I'm assuming if I bought one privately the same laws would apply as well?

I probably have other questions too, but that's already a big wall of text - sorry about that, and thanks for any insight that you can provide.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question 4. Yes you can flat tow one LMTV with another. You would want the correct tow bar and air lines run between the two. (there are front gladhands on MTVs)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site

some answers to your questions:

1) Read this thread. Pay close attention to post #111

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?125739-Email-message-from-GL-Stopped-truck-Auctions-

2) Prices may skyrocket due to question #1. No more to be said.

3) If you have to ask about MPG, a MV may not be for you. We rate them by Smiles per Gallon ;-)

4) answered in post #2

5) exporting - Contact one of the bigger MV vendors. You can export but all the paperwork must be in order. Being a Tactical Vehicle there are restrictions on exporting. Last time I checked with Eastern Surplus it was costing about $2500 for them to handle the paperwork.

Last edited:

Shark Bait

Fuel mileage isn't going to be high, like auction addict said. 6 if you're lucky. 45 Mph is a comfortable spot for my M-1078, it'll do 55 but the cat is wound tight and heat build up is quick. It is a very fun truck to drive. The air ride makes it comfy but the hot days without my a/c installed is hot. They're a very off road capable vehicle. The CTIS also controls the locking diff's. Welcome to the club and hope you find a good one.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re-gear looks like a possibility using Caiman MRAP axles as differential carrier donors. Allows 65 mph top speed.

Terrh

Thanks for the answers!

**** removed ****

I'm guessing the poor MPG is mostly due to the gearing. What RPM is it at at 55? 2100? If I can get 6 MPG at 65 MPH and 92,000LBS gross in my work truck then I'm sure something can be done to improve the LMTV. For now, 6 MPG will have to do.

I'm glad to hear they're exportable without an issue. I don't think I'll need a broker - I've imported several vehicles to canada before. It's reasonably easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It isn't just a vehicle. It is a Tactical Vehicle and does require the correct paperwork from an export company.

Terrh

do you know where I could find more information on what paperwork is required?

I'd be surprised if I needed anything from any export company - but I probably will need to do some government legwork.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.trade.gov/static/doc_auto_faq_expreg.asp

http://fas.org/spp/starwars/offdocs/itar/p121.htm#C-VII

If the truck doesn't fall under the United State Munitions list it may fall under control of the Commerce Control List

http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/regulations/commerce-control-list-ccl

Section #0 - Nuclear and Miscellaneous

http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/fo...gory-0-nuclear-materials-facilities-equipment

Section 0A606

a. Ground vehicles, whether manned or
unmanned, “specially designed” for a military
use and not enumerated or otherwise described
in USML Category VII.
Pay attention to Note #2

Note 2 to paragraph .a: A ground vehicle’s being
“specially designed” for military use for
purposes of determining controls under
paragraph .a. entails a structural, electrical or
mechanical feature involving one or more
“components” that are “specially designed” for
military use. Such “components” include:
a. Pneumatic tire casings of a kind
“specially designed” to be bullet-proof;
b. Armored protection of vital “parts,” (e.g.,
fuel tanks or vehicle cabs);
c. Special reinforcements or mountings for
weapons;
d. Black-out lighting.

Because of the USML and the Commerce Control List requiring an export license, you will find many people will not even export parts that would fit an MV.

All this is to say that while you may be able to jump thru all the required hoops, it may be easier in the long run to just use a licensed export company.

Last edited:

wehring

"The CTIS also controls the locking diff's." from an earlier post.... what locking diffs? I was sad to see open diffs in both front and rear 3rd members in my M1078. No locker available except a $4K quote from Detroit for a prototype run.

Justin

Terrh

"The CTIS also controls the locking diff's." from an earlier post.... what locking diffs? I was sad to see open diffs in both front and rear 3rd members in my M1078. No locker available except a $4K quote from Detroit for a prototype run.

Justin

So there's no lockers in these trucks?

That makes them a **** of a lot less capable off road :(

I thought they had both, but I'd be happy with at least one.

honor first

The CTIS also controls the locking diff's.
If the CTIS system is incomplete, and therefore not operable, can the truck still be driven, just with a loss of locking diff abilities?

EDIT: Belay my last, seeing guys say that they do not have locking diffs, which is what I understood to be the case. Regardless, are there any operational issues with a non-functioning CTIS other than the tire inflate/deflate control?

Thanks for answering my silly questions.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Yes you can drive without operational ctis it just inflates and deflates the tires. There is some interaction between the ctis control and trans computer. You should be ok just unplugging the controller.

honor first

Yes you can drive without operational ctis it just inflates and deflates the tires. There is some interaction between the ctis control and trans computer. You should be ok just unplugging the controller.
Rgr thanks for the quick reply sir. Very very tempted to get one of these. Just sold my commuter car (2011 Caprice PPV 6.0L V8, not much for commuter MPGs), and with the cash I bought an easy cruiser Grand Marquis, and want one of these for no other reason than ****s and giggles.

Quick question instead of starting a new thread: When I use the much more accurate google searching the site method, plus regular search here, all the threads about towing are in regards to towing a LMTV purchase home, or towing the military trailers.

Have people had success setting up these trucks with a standard civilian tow hitch (class 4 or 5) for towing boats, car trailer, etc?

Last edited:

Mercunimog404

Banned
If the CTIS system is incomplete, and therefore not operable, can the truck still be driven, just with a loss of locking diff abilities?

EDIT: Belay my last, seeing guys say that they do not have locking diffs, which is what I understood to be the case. Regardless, are there any operational issues with a non-functioning CTIS other than the tire inflate/deflate control?

Thanks for answering my silly questions.
These trucks do not have locking diffs.

aleigh

Fuel mileage isn't going to be high, like auction addict said. 6 if you're lucky. 45 Mph is a comfortable spot for my M-1078, it'll do 55 but the cat is wound tight and heat build up is quick. It is a very fun truck to drive. The air ride makes it comfy but the hot days without my a/c installed is hot. They're a very off road capable vehicle. The CTIS also controls the locking diff's. Welcome to the club and hope you find a good one.
I realize this is an old post but I just wanted to mention for people who read the thread, my M1078A0 does 58mph all day long @ 185 degrees coolant temp in 90 degree weather. Uphill, downhill, doesn't seem to matter. This is empty, I haven't tried moving any real weight around with it yet. I average 5.8MPG w/ cargo cover.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks