• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New LMTV owner

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok just bought a 1997 1078 Off GP sent in my EUC as i know that takes time. When i go to check out it gives me the option of an SF97 or State Certificate of Title different fees. Any one in Ohio have experience with this. I do not want to mess this up. Truck is in Texas. I have talked with Insurance company and they will insure it on a commercial policy liability only since i am an existing customer. Any help or words of wisdom would be great.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok just bought a 1997 1078 Off GP sent in my EUC as i know that takes time. When i go to check out it gives me the option of an SF97 or State Certificate of Title different fees. Any one in Ohio have experience with this. I do not want to mess this up. Truck is in Texas. I have talked with Insurance company and they will insure it on a commercial policy liability only since i am an existing customer. Any help or words of wisdom would be great.
Welcome!

Take a look at the Common Problems doc here in my signature.

Third From Texas

In Texas, the title department handed me back the GP EUC paperwork and said "get a title, GP isn't a licensed dealer and cannot do title assignments". Legally, they are correct (or at least were correct as of a year ago). And GP messed up my ECU on the vehicle (it technically belongs to GP and not me). Again, because Texas will not accept their "SF97 re-assignment" paperwork. Not all county clerks catch it, though.

I've been going back-and-forth with GP since 2019 over this one...

ymmv

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My EUC went through in one day. i decided on the Title option so we shall see what happens. looking for transport from Texas to Ohio now
Cheaper to drive it with the price of fuel and transport. I'm sure it's up to $5 a mile now if not more (pre-covid and fuel prices it was about $4 a mile). Go PREPARED and drive it home. There's a large network of owners and people that know these trucks that you can rely on. Start a post asking for help with what kind of kit you should compile, and find a member near the truck where you can ship orders from Amazon, etc for tools, etc for the drive.

Rick

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Texas, the title department handed me back the GP EUC paperwork and said "get a title, GP isn't a licensed dealer and cannot do title assignments". Legally, they are correct (or at least were correct as of a year ago). And GP messed up my ECU on the vehicle (it technically belongs to GP and not me). Again, because Texas will not accept their "SF97 re-assignment" paperwork. Not all county clerks catch it, though.

I've been going back-and-forth with GP since 2019 over this one...

ymmv
Contact Justin Whering in the Houston area. He can get anything registered in TX. He has contacts in the DMV. Look for some of his old posts - they always contain his phone number. His user name is "whering". Amazing guy I'm sure he can help.

Rick

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cheaper to drive it with the price of fuel and transport. I'm sure it's up to $5 a mile now if not more (pre-covid and fuel prices it was about $4 a mile). Go PREPARED and drive it home. There's a large network of owners and people that know these trucks that you can rely on. Start a post asking for help with what kind of kit you should compile, and find a member near the truck where you can ship orders from Amazon, etc for tools, etc for the drive.

Rick
problem is i dont even know if it will run, and i am 1100 miles awway. i cant take a 2 weeks to go get this truck.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck was 2700 miles away. Start a post and ask if someone near the truck can do a cursory inspection - throw in some batteries, etc. We have a pretty good community here.

I mean - if you are willing to pay $6k+ to have it transported.... you have seen the price of diesel right? A rig that can haul an LMTV on a low boy is going to be a thirsty ride.

And not driving it home is absolutely a missed adventure. Sometimes you just have to jump in and live life.

Third From Texas

Get an insurance binder until you get it home/running. Shop around if you want full coverage. Hagarty and a few others can write FMV (former military vehicle) policies if you have limited use plans (think parades, events, etc) and they will do full coverage for FMVs. Another option is to insure as an RV if you are going to build it in that direction (again, Hagerty will do that as well). Remember, with insurance it MUST be insured exactly the same as what is displayed on the title/registration. Most companies can actually insure these trucks, but many independent agents balk at writing the policies. The thing with insurance is to shop around. But be absolutely sure that if it's insured as a commercial truck, the title reflects that it is a commercial truck, etc, etc. Exact details are the difference between "you're covered" and "sorry, you were not forthcoming with what the truck really was and thus you are on your own after squashing that family of six in their wimpy little EV."

Side note: I'll second making the truck recovery an adventure if you can. I flew across three states (including Texas) to fetch my M1079. It was confirmed running, though. I just had to do then PMCS and troubleshoot the brake lights and turn signals. I spent six hours going over everything and then 26 more on the road. And it was perfect weather thru beautiful countryside (and at night the lights from the Oklahoma meth labs are a sight to behold).

Your truck at Hooks or at Lytle? Lytle is a civilian yard and super easy to get into. Plenty of community guys in Texas. Might be worth tossing a small fee to someone to give the truck a once-over (if it's at Lytle, they don't make much effort to start things beyond pushing the starter button). I've seen "non runner" trucks from there that fired right up with a a pair of Walmart batteries and drove off the lot. I've seen some missing the engines. Hooks/Red River you will go thru channels, jump a few hoops, background check, and the hairy eyeballs of the MPs at the gate. Hooks/Red River is an operational base and very by-the-book. If you do have it transported and it's at Hooks, make sure the driver knows that he'll be entering a military base for the recovery.

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you talked to the yard to find out how long it can sit there awaiting your arrival? They may be receptive to the argument that you didn't expect the EUC to go through in a day and could you come get it in a few weeks or a month? Enough time to arrange time off, etc.

I totally understand - I made a down payment on my truck to hold it and scheduled it out about 5 weeks. I run my own business and had to plan the trip as well. I had to place orders for supplies to be shipped that I couldn't easily bring on an airplane and made little sense to ship when most of them will end up living on the truck anyway. I had to arrange airfare - I brought a friend along and he had to arrange to go, etc. I think if you just sit back for a second and think this through you can probably figure out how to make it happen. It really just takes a willingness to sit down with everyone involved and figure out a plan. Planning takes time - even arranging a transport for the truck will take some amount of time - it's not like you are going to find a low boy big rig just standing by waiting for your transport order.

There is nothing like the adventure of acquiring your truck. And you will get real familiar with it through the process - which is invaluable. It will give you confidence in yourself and the truck and that you can overcome whatever it throws at you - these are not equipment that you can simply call AAA when it breaks. Situations will arise and you'll be the one on the front lines.

Third From Texas

Does anyone have information on the Springtown GP lot. GP does not give a local contact. is it a military base? The address comes up as Hasty Equipment Sales?
I've never been on that lot, but Springtown is not an active base. But it could be a federal facility of some sort, I'm not sure. If no one here knows, I would call GP customer support. They will give you the contact info (I would take any info direct from GP with a grain of salt as they are just civilian help desk people and you may get a different answer each time you call). So get a point of contact and check with the local yard guy. He will tell you the days and hours open (critical info as some sites only allow pickup one day a week after lunch.....seriously) and he will tell you if there is any clearance required.

Again, don't believe a word GP customer service says from their office. Get direct confirmation from the guy running the yard...

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Rick
Cheaper to drive it, unless something breaks! It's a huge gamble, and not one I recommend... transport it, until you have had a chance to work on it and know what is wrong with it. When a motor pool unit gets the word to get rid of a truck, they go pick that problem truck at the back of the yard that is always broken. They also often get half way through a repair, decide it's not worth fixing, put it back together VERY poorly, and get rid of it.

Poolboy 7631

Cheaper to drive it, unless something breaks! It's a huge gamble, and not one I recommend... transport it, until you have had a chance to work on it and know what is wrong with it. When a motor pool unit gets the word to get rid of a truck, they go pick that problem truck at the back of the yard that is always broken. They also often get half way through a repair, decide it's not worth fixing, put it back together VERY poorly, and get rid of it.
I went through basically the same scenario with my truck. EUC came back in a fraction of the time I was planning. My truck was at a private lot, not even a Richie Bros. yard. The people at that lot were more than accommodating to hold it for a while as long as I communicated with them. Check your item release for local contact info and call them. I really considered transporting it myself with a F450 and a 9-ton tag trailer, but I found a towing company with a Landoll trailer that delivered shipping containers within 45 minutes of where my truck was at and they usually came back empty, so they were happy to get paid a little extra on the back haul, I just had to work with their schedule. Does not hurt to call around. I really wanted the adventure and planned to take a boat load of tools and stuff but in the end I would not have been prepared for the rodents that built a stinky wet nest in the heater box that I still haven’t got to the bottom of yet. It would have been a 350 mile ride with no heat in January from Ohio to Chicago. If anybody considers driving a LMTV off an auction lot, my .02 is go prepared with a medium tow bar and a light cord with 2 - 7 pin round male ends so a heavy wrecker can easily get you off the side of the road. (They should have the necessary air lines but consider them also)

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have information on the Springtown GP lot. GP does not give a local contact. is it a military base? The address comes up as Hasty Equipment Sales?
FYI for anyone picking items up at Springtown. They only allow pick up mon-Wed 8am-2p. GP customer care did not have the correct days of operation but did give the contact for the site. Normally its on the release form but not this time so just some FYI

coachgeo

My truck was 2700 miles away. Start a post and ask if someone near the truck can do a cursory inspection - throw in some batteries, etc. We have a pretty good community here.

I mean - if you are willing to pay $6k+ to have it transported.... you have seen the price of diesel right? A rig that can haul an LMTV on a low boy is going to be a thirsty ride.

And not driving it home is absolutely a missed adventure. Sometimes you just have to jump in and live life.
it was auctioned as a non runner....... so there is very logical reasons to not consider it worth the drive risk home. If it was auctioned as a runner.... then would agree with folk in the "drive it home" camp

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks