• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1008 owner

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, bought this truck off eBay nearly two months ago and fellow SS member treessw went to IN to recover it for me. Treessw got it to me on time and within budget despite being 5 miles from a tornado near the seller's location. A true recovery "warrior"...!!!:beer: Thank you treessw!!!

Converted to 12v starter and missing some wiring, battery hold-downs, pintle and an alternator :-(, but it has an untorn bench seat, cherry dashboard and receiver w/ civi trailer wiring. :mrgreen:

Pressure washed it, did some "quicky" touch up painting, installed new speedo cable (registers about 10-15 mph faster than road speed now) and treated it with two cans of Sea Foam with 1/8 tank of diesel showing on the fuel gauge.

Treessw and I drove it after coming off his trailer and it smoked like a steam powered train for the first two miles. I thought I got hosed by the seller, but after driving it for another 13 miles, it cleared up to normal CUCV exhaust smoke.

Wow, I read and knew the M1008s are geared low with the 4.56 ratio, but I had not driven one in decades. Yep, they sure are not "hot-rods" compared to my "80 mph all day" M1009...

Attachments

cwayne43

hi i just bought a 1986 cucv m1008, i have a couple of questions though, im having trouble finding parts for it bc of the model the VIN # brings up. wheever i search it, it comes up as an k30 1-1/4 ton 6.2L die. engin but whenever i try to look up parts for it i never get that option under the model. Any Help is greatly appreciated!!!!!! I'm new with dealing with diesel engines as well as 24volt system any help is appreciated thanks in advance!!:?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks