• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mav’s M1088A1 Conversion

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The four super expensive Hawkers were dead and the flipper didn't know that they can be easily recovered with an AGM charger so he bought the cheapest Wal Mart batteries he could find and slapped them in the box as best he could.

Ronmar

what NDT said, they hooked up a new set in the rear two bays and disconnected the ground and 24v terminals on the hawkers. Just send it:) or pull the hawkers and see if they can be salvaged and insulate the two terminals on that cable that are attached to them…

Mavcaster

Yeah so was trying to figure out if they essentially converted to two batts and just left the hawkers there or if a pos and neg terminal just needed to be connected to the hawkers. I found the diagram for the two batt setup which is what I plan to convert to but still looking for a 4 batt diagram.

Ronmar

Ok rog yeah I see it now. That lone terminal bottom right off the bolted together grounds threw me off but boy is it jury rigged…
Yea you can see its 24v counterpart taped over in the upper left behind the innermost hawker.

The quick fix to clean this up is get 2 thru-bolt battery terminals for the ground and 24v terminals. Ditch the 4 terminal cable and one of the 2 terminal cables. Use the other 2 terminal cable to connect between the 2 batts you are using And connect the 12v lead to a stud on the end of the 2 terminal cable…

Mavcaster

Yea you can see its 24v counterpart taped over in the upper left behind the innermost hawker.

The quick fix to clean this up is get 2 thru-bolt battery terminals for the ground and 24v terminals. Ditch the 4 terminal cable and one of the 2 terminal cables. Use the other 2 terminal cable to connect between the 2 batts you are using And connect the 12v lead to a stud on the end of the 2 terminal cable…
I did notice the tape but wasn’t sure based on this sole photo. If that’s a terminal then that should share the pos post on the innermost everlast correct? If it starts then i’m assuming that disconnected 24v lead is coming from the alternator?

Ronmar

There are three 24v leads. One is from the nato plug, one goes to the polarity protection device/alternator and one goes to the starter solenoid. So those 3 leads will need to go to the + terminal of the innermost battery.

There is only one 12v lead and it can get connected to either end of the 2 terminal jumper between the batteries.

There are 2 ground leads, one from the nato plug and one to the shunt under the PPD and then on to the starter ground terminal.

Ronmar

looks like if a disconnect was on that single ground at the bottom... it would disconnect everything??
Sort of. If you only disconnect ground you will still have a difference of potential between any 12 and 24 circuits. The polarity protection device prevents any reverse flow from 24 thru any 12v circuits, but if you are working on anything there is still potential present in the circuitry.

coachgeo

Sort of. If you only disconnect ground you will still have a difference of potential between any 12 and 24 circuits. The polarity protection device prevents any reverse flow from 24 thru any 12v circuits, but if you are working on anything there is still potential present in the circuitry.
ok..... so the two Positives then instead in this case?

Mavcaster

Ok well the plan is to head out on Monday and evaluate/hopefully get this thing on the road. I’m taking a truck full of tools/welder/compressor everything I can think of to try and nurse the truck home. Curious if anyone in MD or VA would be willing or knows someone who might be willing to lend me a towbar in case things go really south? I have lined up several contacts along my path where I can potentially leave the truck to return later with more parts etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks