• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Indiana here!

Tsconspiracy

Hey everybody! I’ve been considering buying an M35 for the last few years, but I’ve just never gone through with it. I have done quite a bit of research but I hear mixed reviews on maintenance of these vehicles. I’ve also never driven or even rode in one before, but I’ve always been fascinated with them. I was just curious if there was anyone near the Richmond, Indiana area that would be willing to show me their rig and talk in person about it.

A little bit about me, I am a machinist by trade and I used to have a hobby of building cars. I can rebuild or machine just about anything. I just want to make sure I know what I am getting myself into.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey everybody! I’ve been considering buying an M35 for the last few years, but I’ve just never gone through with it. I have done quite a bit of research but I hear mixed reviews on maintenance of these vehicles. I’ve also never driven or even rode in one before, but I’ve always been fascinated with them. I was just curious if there was anyone near the Richmond, Indiana area that would be willing to show me their rig and talk in person about it.

A little bit about me, I am a machinist by trade and I used to have a hobby of building cars. I can rebuild or machine just about anything. I just want to make sure I know what I am getting myself into.
Welcome to the site! The M35 is a heck of a truck and will keep you "head and shoulders" above the traffic. :)

Might be that timing for this weekend is perfect. The Indiana Military Vehicle Preservation Association has an event at Grissom ARB Museum, 1000 W. Hoosier Blvd. (Peru, Indiana). It's an air show and there could be wheeled vehicles on display as well.

There is also a Indiana MVPA Conference the weekend after that 8/11 to 8/14 (South Bend, Indiana). They are featuring the 50th Anniversary of the AM General company. They are hosting a lot of trucks and there will definitely be people who can talk excitedly about big green trucks! Chances are good that if you invest a little time there - you could find yourself on a "ride-along".

---

Another option would be to read forums obviously - but if you are convinced that the M35 is your target - downloading the TM's (Technical Manuals) for the truck will get your education started. Those books live here:

There are a string of numbers TM 9-2320-361-10 are consistent with the last 3 characters designating what that TM is for in all TM's. The -10 is more or less the operators guide for the vehicle. The -24p and -34 are parts books and "how to" instructions. Spending a little effort there will teach you what questions to ask if you attend one of the rally events mentioned above. Book learning will also help school you in the terms to talk smartly about parts and features of the truck.

More information about the Indiana MV group is at http://www.indianamvpa.org

Welcome again to the site and to the Hobby as well.

Tsconspiracy

Welcome to the site! The M35 is a heck of a truck and will keep you "head and shoulders" above the traffic. :)

Might be that timing for this weekend is perfect. The Indiana Military Vehicle Preservation Association has an event at Grissom ARB Museum, 1000 W. Hoosier Blvd. (Peru, Indiana). It's an air show and there could be wheeled vehicles on display as well.

There is also a Indiana MVPA Conference the weekend after that 8/11 to 8/14 (South Bend, Indiana). They are featuring the 50th Anniversary of the AM General company. They are hosting a lot of trucks and there will definitely be people who can talk excitedly about big green trucks! Chances are good that if you invest a little time there - you could find yourself on a "ride-along".

---

Another option would be to read forums obviously - but if you are convinced that the M35 is your target - downloading the TM's (Technical Manuals) for the truck will get your education started. Those books live here:

There are a string of numbers TM 9-2320-361-10 are consistent with the last 3 characters designating what that TM is for in all TM's. The -10 is more or less the operators guide for the vehicle. The -24p and -34 are parts books and "how to" instructions. Spending a little effort there will teach you what questions to ask if you attend one of the rally events mentioned above. Book learning will also help school you in the terms to talk smartly about parts and features of the truck.

More information about the Indiana MV group is at http://www.indianamvpa.org

Welcome again to the site and to the Hobby as well.
Thank you very much for taking the time to type all of that out. I think a friend and I will be going to the Grissom Air Force base this weekend. I will definitely look at all of the sources for info you posted too. My biggest thing is I just want to make sure I talk to people who are honest about the vehicles and not just someone who is trying to sell me something.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! You came to the right place for advice and honest answers. Folks around here are happy to help with any questions you might have. Mullaney has already pointed you in a good direction. I would like to add that the "stickies" (at the top of the Deuce section with the thumb tacks) have several good posts about the real cost of deuce ownership, etc. The topic has come up once or twice 😂. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. And again, welcome.

tobyS

If you go to Peru or south bend, come on up to Rochester. I'll show you my deuce project and can let you try out my m929A2, which will give you something to compare.

I have charging at 240

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks