• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Ogden, UT

Babcut

Hello. I am a new HMMWV owner from Ogden, UT. I am getting into my 40's and I think I am starting to have my mid life crisis. For my mid life crisis I decided to rebuild my dream vehicle so ended up buying 3 hmmwv's in various stages of repair. One M1151 almost operational, and two older mostly gutted. I have very little experience working on vehicle but plan to learn it all with these vehicles. Luckily my wife loves everything military so I have complete support and approval to use the old piggy bank. The only requests she has is for me to learn to do the work myself and let her drive one at will once it's up and running. She gets giddy talking about driving it down the highway or to get groceries :)

I've already used steel soldiers quite a bit for information and know I will need help in the future so wanted to introduce myself.

Seems like a great community.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the Outfit!

Since you are here, how about some pictures of your motorpool? I mean even if two of them are mostly gutted, they still need to be included. ;-) Sounds to me like you have a heck of a wife! Having her support will sure make it easier for you to spend the time and dollars to get your "V's" up and running. We have the TM's (Technical Manuals) here. Free Downloads.

One REALLY IMPORTANT thing is inspecting your tires. You don't want your wife to be excited about driving a HMMWV and get stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire. Yeah, they aren't cheap but they are a lot cheaper than the alternative... There are date codes on the tires. More than 5 years old is "Bad MoJo".

You may want to consider inspecting everything else that is rubber on the truck. I know you need to have some fun too, so maybe the engine hoses can wait for a little while but replacing them BEFORE THEY LEAK will make you a lot happier. The hoses on the fuel system need the same attention. Especially when you have a hard-to-crank truck because they leak. They have compression clamps that hold them in place and when the rubber gets old - it tends to get dried out and drip fuel.

Last edited:

Babcut

Welcome to the Outfit!

Since you are here, how about some pictures of your motorpool? I mean even if two of them are mostly gutted, they still need to be included. ;-) Sounds to me like you have a heck of a wife! Having her support will sure make it easier for you to spend the time and dollars to get your "V's" up and running. We have the TM's (Technical Manuals) here. Free Downloads.

On REALLY IMPORTANT thing is inspecting your tires. You don't want your wife to be excited about driving a HMMWV and get stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire. Yeah, they aren't cheap but they are a lot cheaper than the alternative... There are date codes on the tires. More than 5 years old is "Bad MoJo".

You may want to consider inspecting everything else that is rubber on the truck. I know you need to have some fun too, so maybe the engine hoses can wait for a little while but replacing them BEFORE THEY LEAK will make you a lot happier. The hoses on the fuel system need the same attention. Especially when you have a hard-to-crank truck because they leak. They have compression clamps that hold them in place and when the rubber gets old - it tends to get dried out and drip fuel.
I'll try to get some pictures in the near future and post them. I'm lucky to have decent garage space so we are just cleaning some storage out around the 2 in the garage to put up some storage racks for parts then the real work will begin. Thank you for the advice on the tires. Other than small drives around my back yard, I won't let my wife leave until I consider it perfectly safe including the tires, breaks, seat belts, and other safety things. I don't trust the tires currently on them as they are probably very very old.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll try to get some pictures in the near future and post them. I'm lucky to have decent garage space so we are just cleaning some storage out around the 2 in the garage to put up some storage racks for parts then the real work will begin. Thank you for the advice on the tires. Other than small drives around my back yard, I won't let my wife leave until I consider it perfectly safe including the tires, breaks, seat belts, and other safety things. I don't trust the tires currently on them as they are probably very very old.
Good Man!

Having a workspace is really great. I can't quite bring myself to spend the money for a building. Down here where I am, there is generally about two months of chilly weather. Might be a couple of cold weather days, then occasional rain. Out there where you are - you need a workspace for sure.

Go ahead... Post up a few pictures of the garage too. Lots of the guys do and workspace almost always gets rave reviews.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! I’m not very many miles south of you. Also, I’m sure you know about Boyce Equipment there in Ogden. They probably have any part you need, or there’s a number of places I’d recommend online, such as Big Mike’s Motor Pool, Erik’s Military & Industrial Surplus (they’re in Southern California, so ~2 day UPS shipping to Utah, even when you select the cheapest shipping option), or TNJ Murray’s.

Babcut

Welcome to the Outfit!

One REALLY IMPORTANT thing is inspecting your tires. You don't want your wife to be excited about driving a HMMWV and get stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire. Yeah, they aren't cheap but they are a lot cheaper than the alternative... There are date codes on the tires. More than 5 years old is "Bad MoJo".

I just wanted to say thanks for the TM's. They are already a great help. !!!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just wanted to say thanks for the TM's. They are already a great help. !!!
Glad we could help - and if something else comes up - let us know and we will jump in and see if we can come up with a plan!

jake20

Greetings from IL! Happy to help with questions as well if you've got any, got my first truck back in June of last year and have been working on 3 since then lol.

No lack of things to learn with these toys :p

P.S. - Govplanet is a very very dangerous place to go when you see they've added more humvee listings 👀

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks