• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, starting first M1008 Resto-Mod

wayward_viewfinder

Howdy! Today, with the purchase of an ugly M1008, I begin a journey that I've had on the back burner of my mind for 16 years. My goal is to build a reliable daily driver capable of long distance and moderate loads. I work 7 days on-shift, 7 days off, with a total daily round trip of 120 miles (hoping for a transfer to a closer facility later this year). I also hunt, fish, and camp, and need this truck to take me hundreds of miles away, sit and wait for me for a week or so, and fire up and haul me back home when I'm done. This truck must also serve as a utility truck to haul 300 gallons of water to my cabin 3 times per week, plus any other supplies/equipment we may need along the way.

That background out of the way... I've stalked SS for the past few months, making a mental checklist of things to do. First off, I'm starting with a rig that was used for snow plowing at one point, has already been converted to a full 12V system, and has had the glow plug card removed and replaced with a manual push button. The rear driveshaft has also been dented by a forklift... kinda made my 60 mile maiden voyage home a little tense, lol.

Here's a rough outline for our future together:
  • Replace rear driveshaft and u-joints
  • Lube check and change
  • Starter relay Mod as described on the forum
  • Get two batteries back under the hood
  • Glow plug change
  • Screw-on fuel filter mod
  • Homebrew "ram air" intake
  • Engine block heater, battery blankets, oil pan heater
  • New headlight wiring harness and upgrade headlights and tail lights
  • The largest tires I can fit on stock rims without lift, might consider slight trim (thinking 265/75r/16 load E, maybe 285?)
  • Custom front winch bumper, probably homebrew
  • Some body work, Behr paint OD Green throughout, Hurculiner, and POU
  • Passenger side fuel tank rigged for fuel transfer to either driver side tank or to external tank
  • Some sound deadening to the cab and engine compartment, not a huge priority.
  • Various cool-guy and creature-comforts, not to mention facelift to the panel and dash.
Far distant mods include GearVenters addition, Cummins swap (undecided between 4bt and 6bt, gotta balance power and economy), and transmission cooler.

I have until my caribou hunt in September to get some peace of mind established with this rig (400 mile trip to the boat launch where it will sit for a week in possibly freezing temps).

I guess I'll mention here that this is my first project truck, and beyond general maintenance, I have very little automotive mechanic experience. I've done a few major repairs though, and am confident that between SS, youtube, and the TMs, I can get most things figured out. I welcome any tips, tricks, and cautionary tales you may have. I'll keep this post updated with progress along the way. Glad to be here among you fine folks!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks