• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Missouri Veterans drivers License

tuckered

The following article was in a local Missouri newspaper:

[Gladstone Dispatch: Volume 2, Issue 42, page A2 (Dated September 6, 2012)]

As part of Senate Bill 470, signed by Gov. Jay Nixon and effective on Aug. 28, veterans may now obtain a veteran designation on their Missouri driver's license or state identification card.
To get the veterans designation, a veteran needs to present at any Missouri license office a copy of the DD-214 showing a discharge status of "Honorable," "General," "Under Honorable Conditions" or "General under Honorable Conditions" and pay the applicable fees for the license or card.
The veterans designation, a ribbon with the word "veteran" inside, will be printed on the back of the card.
If the drivers license is not due to expire within the next six months, the transaction will be processed as a duplicate with the same expiration date as the current license. If the license is due to expire within the next six months, the transaction would be processed as an early renewal.
"Veterans in Missouri have wanted a veterans designation for a long time, instead of always carrying their DD-214," said Missouri Veterans Commission Executive Director Larry D. Kay. "By listening to the needs of its veterans, Missouri has once again showed its support for those who served."
If a veteran needs assistance in obtaining a copy of their DD-214, they are encourage to contact a MVC veterans service officer by calling 1-866-VET-INFO.

I just wanted to mention this, since there are so many fellow veterans here. I would prefer that the ribbon would be on FRONT of the drivers license where the citing officer can see it (for a change of heart). But, it is better than nothing. I will get this on my license when i renew it.

tuckered

Considering the poor treatment of veterans in the past, anything that gives them respect and an upper hand is wonderful. After my stint in the regular Army, I was in the active reserves and later transferred to the Missouri Army National Guard. Served, in one form or another, for my 8 years. After my enlistment was up, didn't even get a DD214 from the guard. Couldn't get a decent job until I was 100% civilian. No one would hire a person in the guard, even had business that told me so. Some thanks for a job well done. I served in the 80's and early 90's. Missed desert storm. Spent some time in Honduras (aka helping with contra aide) and Panama. The only benefit I have ever gotten from my service, as a perk, was a free meal at Golden Coral, on veterans day.

Lust4GreenSteel

Heck of a note that I live in Gladstone, get the Dispach thrown in my yard, but have to read the article on the SS site. Shows how I spend my time.

Tuckered, you can get a benefit any time you shop at Lowe's. Just tell them you are a veteran and they will automatically give you 10% off. The new MO drivers license will be proof enough. I use my VA ID card as proof. They usually thank me for my service and always smile when they give the credit. Lowe's does not advertise this benefit, but I have never been turned down.

Home Depot will give a similar discount if you are retired or disabled vet. Sometimes I can shame them into giving me a one time discount by telling them that I am going across the street to Lowe's.

A lot of motels will give you a military rate if you are a veteran. Doesn't hurt to ask any merchant. Worst they can do is tell you NO.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
After my stint in the regular Army, I was in the active reserves and later transferred to the Missouri Army National Guard. Served, in one form or another, for my 8 years. After my enlistment was up, didn't even get a DD214 from the guard.
I have DD-214's from the TN Nat Guard, AL Nat Guard, Active Army and Active Army Reseve. If you served and were honorably discharged you should have a DD-214 to reflect that. Your service records showing when and where you drilled are stored somewhere.

Go to your local VA office or join the American Legion and let them assist you. Unless you retired off active duty or were medically retired you cannot get an ID card.

You can get the benefits you are entitled too if you are willing to jump through the hoops.

twlinks

Tuckered, you can get a benefit any time you shop at Lowe's. Just tell them you are a veteran and they will automatically give you 10% off. The new MO drivers license will be proof enough. I use my VA ID card as proof. They usually thank me for my service and always smile when they give the credit. Lowe's does not advertise this benefit, but I have never been turned down.

Home Depot will give a similar discount if you are retired or disabled vet. Sometimes I can shame them into giving me a one time discount by telling them that I am going across the street to Lowe's.
You don't have to be "retired or disabled vet" at Home Depot. They honor your VA ID every time, just like Lowe's does. TSC and others also offer discounts...you just have to ask any place you shop if they do that.

tuckered

I did get my VA card and full DD214! My dad and I were at Cabeleas (KC, KS) at Halloween, he asked if they had vets discount there and the checkout counter. They said yes. She gave him a nice discount after showing his VA card. Surprised us both. I've heard about the Home Depot discount too, but thought that was only on Veterans Day.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Texas also has the 'veteran' tag on the DL, but it is on the front.

Having started out my military career at a time when we were often refused service in restaurants for being Marines (1978 ), it pleases me to see how the military is treated now. When my Marine son was going back (and headed for Afghanistan) after his last leave home, he was at the end of a very long line to go through security screening. I watched the TSA guy come out, chat for a moment, then lead him off to the VIP gate and run him straight through ahead of the line.

Cheers

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rarely do I ever want to contact my state legislators about anything but this might just be worth it. Actually it is worth it. I just have to figure out who got elected locally as it would be nice to not have to carry a copy of my DD214 with me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks